Wiring 2 audio sources into 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring 2 audio sources into 1

I've seen a wiring diagram for this somewhere but I can't find it now. I have two sources that I want to combine into one audio input(used for paging throughout the house) without causing interference with the source that is not being used. Anyone know how to do this or of a connector that is made for this?

Thanks in advance,
    -Shane

Shane,
    Was it the AB8SS?
    http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Rupp,
      No it wasn't. It was a diagram with some diodes or resistors of some sort(I'm obviously not very versed in electronic parts) that allowed you to combine two sources into one while still protecting the two sources. I'm tying two sources into my paging input of my Russound CAV 6.6. I think I saw this diagram on HomeToys.com or a similar site. I looked there but couldn't find it. I hope I'm not making this more complicated than it really is.

Thanks,
      -Shane

Comment

If you're looking to do paging over music, I assume you have a whole-home audio source and you want to be able to issue paging/TTS over it...

If you're considering a ducking feature (ramp up/down of the music automatically when the paging/TTS input becomes active), then you might look at this product (rather than try to build your own):

Radio Design Labs STVP2 Automatic Ducking Module

Inexpensive, reliable, simple to use.

Dan

Comment

Shane,

Are you basically looking for an audio mixer, something like this

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer1.htm
          or this
          http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...linemixer.html

How well does the paging input on the CAV6.6 work? It might be nice to have two sound cards in the HS/HTPC -- one sending SS TTS to the CAV6.6 paging input and another sound card playing audio (WMP/DVD/etc) to one of the six CAV6.6 inputs. The CAV6.6 would then handle muting, and the TTS could be heard throughout the house, regardless of which source is selected in any zone.

Are you using the CAV6.6 in this way?

Don

Comment

Thanks for the input so far guys. Don S, the paging works quite well. I have an input already hooked up to the paging module for TTS announcements. I want to hook up a second input of a microphone in my baby's room for a monitor. I would be able to turn the power off when I don't want it to page. Using the paging input instead of a source saves a source and allows me to listen to music while still montitoring the baby's room. I have two other sound cards hooked up to two different sources for MP3's on the Russound already.
            That mixing circuit (I think) is what I was looking for. That diagram doesn't mean much to me but I'm sure I can get someone's help or find something already done. That ducking module is along the right lines but a lot more than I was hoping to spend.

-Shane

Comment

Working...
            X