Internet based operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet based operation

I find that there are many times when I would like to assess the status of my home automation systems and change some of the current settings when I'm on vacation or away for extended periods. My current system is pretty simple in that I am still using the X-10 CM-11 computer interface and 10 to 12 modules and the basic Activehome software. My configuration has the CM-11 pretty maxed out and I can't expand add any more to it. I want to replace the CM-11 and was planning on implementing the Smarthome USB Powerlinc and the Homeseer software package but I realize that would still rely on having a PC connected and running in order to establish communications via the net and I'd rather not do that for extended periods.

Are there any reasonably priced devices that can connect directly to my Wi-Fi router and modem for direct web access and provide functions similar to the Smarthome PowerLinc and work with the Homeseer software?

You can use HomeSeer for complete visibility and control of your remote home- but!
    1- You need an always-on PC or laptop - ideally an old slow abandoned PC so you don't have to purchase a new one.
    2- You need either an always-on internet connection - DSL or cable modem, or a (more difficult to implmement) unattended dial-up scheme.

If you have that, you install HomeSeer software, configure the X10 devices into a minimum of time scheduled events, and more, and connect the CM11 to the PC's serial port. The role of WiFi in this is merely cable-replacement for CAT5 - it really has nothing to do with HomeSeer per se.

Within HomeSeer is a small web server which you can arrange to be accessable with password, via the internet. Lots of homeseer users do so.

Mine is likely typical: an older PC always on, in the garage, monitor turned off except when fiddling locally. VNC used to remote control it when needed. I measured it at 30 watts of AC power, if that's your concern. I used to use an old laptop which was much less power.

I and the folks on this forum will be happy to help you get this going.

You can look at the way people here have done what you want to do. Some are more elaborate than you need, at least to begin with. Here's one example:

login "guest" and password "guest" for this website...

http://childress.d2g.com/newweb/imag...0HA%20dwg1.jpg

Comment

Steve,
      What you're suggesting is exactly what I wanted to avoid, having to keep my PC on, but you've made good case for the simplicity in doing so and how inexpensive it might be to do it that way. I do have an old PC that is currently unused and could fit that bill. I certainly don't want to spend a lot at this point and that might be the best way to move up a notch while other hi-tech (hopefully lo-cost) solutions evolve.

Comment

Larry,
        Using HS without an always on PC is like having a boat but no water. It just doesn't make since. In addition HS DOES NOT allow downloading event to the newer Smarthome USB Powerlinc that has built in memory.
        ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Comment

Rupp,
          Thanks, I'm glad you pointed out me that HS does not download to Power Sync because that's exactly what I wanted to happen and that's why I orginally thought I could operate without the PC. I guess I have to rethink this issue and decide whether HS is the right program to use or just to stick with the software that Smarthome sells with their Power Linc. A nice solution seems to be in the specifications I read for the new Homeseer Pro 100 Controller but I'm sure it will cost quite a bit when it comes out.
          Larry

Comment

A key point, Larry: The web server within HS opens up all kinds of remote control capabilties. From the Internet, with a password, you can observe anc control X10 and other devices, and trigger small software scripts which you write which can do most anything.

Comment

It still requires a PC on 24/7, but there is always the option of installing a PCI modem and controlling HS from a phone. I find that much more useful than the web interface, I always have a phone with me, but often don't have an internet connection

Comment

I see this come up every so often, but I don't get it. Why is it a "big deal" to leave a PC on all the time?

Heck, at any given moment I probably have 2 or three running. Plus monitors, printers and other assorted goodies.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Crowley:
                  I guess I have to rethink this issue and decide whether HS is the right program to use or just to stick with the software that Smarthome sells with their Power Linc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Larry, I was in the same boat as you about 18 months ago. I bought HS and was TORQUED that it would not download to my CM11A without buying an additional plug-in. I was tired of the old X10 software and thought Homeseer would be a little better so I was MAD when I found out I could not even do what I thought was the most basic things with it: downloading to the CM11A ....that is until I found out what HS can actually do. Who knew I would NEED access to modules from out of town? Who knew I would be using HS to check my email remotely? Who knew I would use HS to view my front porch camera shots to see if packages arrived or have it email me when the motion detector activated? Who knew I would use HS to wake me up (nicely) each morning with music, lights, a weather report and my todo list? ....and that is not even scratching the surface. All this does come with a WARNING though. If you buy HS, you will become hooked! HS is SO expandable and there are SO MANY scripts and plugins you will be amazed and captivated. It is SO cool, it will become a hobby instead of just a glorified "Clapper" for your lights.

Hehe... I sent HATE MAIL to Rich and Rick initially and got them to change some wording on their website because I was mad I had to buy ADDITIONAL software in order to be able to download to the CM11. (Remember that?) :-( (I still feel bad about that!) About 3 weeks later, after I had time to "play" with HS and start seeing just the tip of its uses and what I actually got for my money, I sent them a HUGE apology letter. They said I was not the first.... I suspect I was not the last.

Bottom line: HS is a far better and cooler product that you could possibly imagine. ....and it gets even better every day! Even if it is more than you think you need right now, you WILL find more uses for it in a very short time. I promise!

Best of luck!

Rob

Comment

Rob,
                    I really appreciate your comments about your experience with HS and your initial frustration that it couldn't do a download to the CM-11 which is exactly my reaction and reluctance. You implied that you solved that problem with an additional plug-in and/or software. What was that and how did it interface to HS?
                    Larry

Comment

Hi Larry. Like the others have already said, HomeSeer is a software package that is *much* more powerful than activehome and to take advantage of that power you really need to leave your PC on all the time. There is a plugin available for HomeSeer that does allow you to download certain events to a CM-11a, however, because of the limitations of the CM-11a you lose most of the power of HomeSeer working this way.

To be perfectly honest, if you're dead set against leaving your PC on 24/7 then I'd suggest not using HomeSeer. If you restrict your home automation system to what you can download to the CM-11a then you really will get no benifit from HomeSeer and you may as well save some money. If you want to be able to control your system remotely without leaving a PC on all the time, then there are a few limited things you can do. First, get some remote access software like PC/Anywhere or gotomypc and install it on your computer. Then I see two options. First, you could connect your PC to a timer so that it's on for an hour a day. If you want to check it's status then just make your connection during the time it's powered on. Otherwise I have seen some devices that will turn your computer on automatically when you call your house. You let the phone ring a certain number of times, or you let it ring, then hang up and call back immediately or something like that and the device will then power up your PC. If you got a device like that you could simply call home to trigger the device, then make the connection to your PC.

Also, like the others have said, I'm not sure why you don't want to leave your PC on all the time. Without leaving the monitor on all the time it really doesn't consume a lot of power, nor do I believe there is any safty risk. I've been working with PC's for nearly 15 years now and while I've seen a number of power supplies fail and smoke a bit I've never even heard of a PC starting a fire or causing any damage.

If you do get HomeSeer and decide to leave your PC on all the time I think it will do everything you're looking for and much more. For example, homeseer has a built in web server, so you can connect to your PC from any web browser anywhere and check the status of your system or make any changes that you want to. You can set up homeseer to email you alerts or even send an email to your cell phone to update you on it's status. I have set up a keypad near each of my exterior doors and one of the buttons on each keypad will put my home into 'vacation' mode. If my wife or I press that button on the way out the door the system will automatically randomly turn lights on and off when it gets dark out. When we come home we simply press the button again to turn off 'vacation' mode.

HTH,
                      Brett

Comment

I have my hs/server PC running 24/7 and donโ€™t have a problem with it
                        But I do like the CM12U to do certain routine jobs independently
                        Couldnโ€™t this be just made part of HS?

Comment

Brett,
                          The more replys I get on this subject the more I realize how dedicated HS owners are to the product and how enthused they are in using it. The case you and others have made for it's versatility is pretty convincing.

I may be making a bigger case out wanting a standalone system that doesn't involve an always on PC than is necessary. When I'm home my PC is alway on and I've never had any problems except when the power goes off, which is rare in California but it does happen. However, I have had several problems with other devices when I've been on vacation including a refrigerator that quit and I came home to a stinking mess and then a water line that starting leaking on my carpeted patio. Both of these highlighted that things to happen to gadgets often when no one is around. Granted the PC is mostly a solid state highly reliable device but it does have two devices that are somewhat failure prone, the hard drives and the power supply. If I can use the sleep mode for the harddrives then maybe that would minimize that concern. And certainly the low power usage would minimize the strain on the powersupply for most of the time.

But, I'm not concerned about the potential for problems in a two week vacation. My projected lifestyle is such that I may be away from home for as much as 6 months at a time with those people remaining at home totally incapable of dealing with any type of computer problem. It is for that reason that I have thought that having a standalone device that could link to the internet would be the best solution. It appears that short of spending $2000 for the soon to be released HS Pro-100 that goal is not currently feasible. It really surprises me that the HS software was not designed to download to either the CM-11 or the new Powerlinc interface but there must have been overriding reasons. I could easily accept that if I wanted full time internet access then I would have to have the PC operational but I would feel more secure knowing that if the PC failed that the standalone device would continue with some basic time and event activities.

Anyhow the more I listen to you all the more I'm convinced that HS is probably the best solution not withstanding my unique concerns.

Thanks again,
                          Larry

PS: In rereading this note before I sent it I found myself wondering whether the HS software would function with a CM-11 or Powerlinc that has had certain time/events downloaded from the old Activehome software or whether it has to be cleaned off? Food for thought.....

Comment

Hardware Hacker,
                            This is the first I've heard of the CM-12U. Is it still available and how does it differ from the CM-11a? After I read your reply I saw it online but I couldn't tell whether it was still available or why it would be any bettter than the CM-11. It didn't sound like it had any increase in memory size. The ad implies that it links with HS software. What gives?
                            Larry

Comment

Larry,
                              A CM-12U is Europe's version of the CM11A.
                              ๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Support & Customer Service ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ Sales Questions ๐Ÿ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsโ€‹

Comment

Working...
                              X