Need Help Configuring Motion Detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Configuring Motion Detector

I just installed my first motion detector today. It is an x10 detector. I placed it in the hallway outside my bathroom so that the lights in the bathroom would be on by the time I get in there. I have it set to M3. My lights are on the P house code. I programmed hs to only turn the bathroom lights (P10) on during sunset to sunrise. It works great. However, when you leave the bathroom, and turn off the light, and pass the motion sensor, it turns the light back on. Is there any way to avoid this? Thanks. I don't want to set the lights to automatically go off, I want to turn them off manually, and I don't have 2 way switches, so when I turn the lights off, it does not update homeseer. Thanks.

ps. I noticed doo motion plugin. Would this help?

As you say, if you manually switch on / off then HS will not know the status :/ its one of those things

Comment

Beach,
      Yes the Doo motion plugin would help. It has the ability to set the "action" you desire as well as a variable to not retrigger within a certian amount of time.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Put another condition in your event that M3 must be "off" for the event to fire.

This should keep it from refiring right awaywhen you walk by the motion detector for the second time.

Then set your off time programming for the motion sensor (using the buttons in the motion sensor)for a little longer than your average "trip" to the bathroom say 5 minutes.

One problem with this is a second trip to the bathroom within 5 minutes won't turn the light on because M3 will still be on.

You might have to mess with the timing on the motion sensor to suit yourself.

I would just let homeSeer turn the light off and don't bother with the switch.
        Neil
        Newmarket Ontario

Comment

I solved this problem using Michael McSharry's "MCSmovement" plugin available for free in the updater.

I don't know how long the hall is, going to your bathroom, but this worked in my situation.

I had a similar problem with the lights in my garage. When I would go down the stairs, the lights in the garage would be on by the time I got there. However, when I came back up the stairs, the light would trigger on again. I could not use a timed event, because I had no idea how long I would be in the garage. I may be going down just to get something, or I may be in there working something for a while.

With Michaels plugin, I installed 2 motion sensors. One at the top, and one at the bottom of the stairs. The plugin would determine the "dirrection of travel" and fire the according event.

If I was going down the stairs, it sees the sensor at the top fires, and then the one at the middle of the stairs fires a couple seconds later. From that, it "knows" I am heading TO the garage. Same thing in reverse when comming back up the stairs FROM the garage, the lights would turn off. This was a perfect sollution, as the lights are turned off within a few seconds of leaving the garage.

One thing that significantly helps, is I have a CM19A receiving all of my motion sensor signals dirrectly through the air. They do not have the delay or bottleneck of going through the house wiring, and the commands are received almost instaneously.
          Visit My Home Seer Site at:
          www.JohnWPB.com
          Created with LCARS

Comment

Working...
          X