Work firewalls.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work firewalls.

My wife's company was recently bought out and the new employer but in a firewall that blocks websites. It is pretty ridiculous the ones it blocks.

Anyways- where I am- I use the-clock.com or anonymizer.com to get around it (our is reasonable). Her work blocks these.

She can use www.asksnoop.com- but it is slow and unreadable obviously.

Is there any other sites and ways to get around this?

At home- I have a HS server and a Sun box. The Sun box has SSH running on it. I could have her SSH to the Sun box and then run Netscape on it in a X app- but that might be a bit much for her. The other thing I was thinking was Remote Desktop to her machine at home. I would probably need to set up some ports.

What is the best way to do this? Should I set up a proxy on the Sun box? Should I have her use remote desktop?
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Set up a proxy at home, then have her SSH in (tunnel only, listening on local host only), and then she can use her regular browser on her work desktop to do her stuff. If you want to play it safe, I would recommend just using Remote Desktop, it's a little slower, but a little bit more safer.
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Foward port 3389 to your HS box. Have her remote desktop in.

Comment

Windows XP pro offers a web based version of their Remote Desktop here.

this might be easier

Comment

just keep in mind that the webbased version still required 3389/tcp to be opened up, the web interface is just an activex version of the RD client (mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll), but does require you to turn on IIS, so that's one more port you have to forward.
          HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
          (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Don't you think if they block as much as has been stated that there will be no way they will allow requests on other ports (3389) out?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

sounds like they are only doing content filtering, you would be surprised how many companies do not filter outgoing traffic, only incoming.
              (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Do note that some places block out going traffic to ports other than standard ones like 80 and 443. This is probably to reduce the potential for trojans internal to the lan from calling home.
                Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Even if they are blocking 3389 you can change what port RDP runs over to anything you want (including 80).

Comment

wpiman,
                    Why is your work blocking your web site? What are the odds?

Comment

Don't you think if they block as much as has been stated that there will be no way they will allow requests on other ports (3389) out?

I had her download an SSH client today and she can run that and connect to the Sun Box- so her work allows that.

I need to get either IE or Mozilla configured threw the tunnel now

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

wpiman,
                        Did you try the Remote Desktop Sharing option. I use this and the beauty of this setup is it only takes a double click on a desktop icon.

Comment

I use remote desktop within the house. This seems like a high WAF option- I will try this and see how it matches in speed against SSH.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

If you are going to tunnel via SSH you might want to take a look at OpenVPN on sourceforge.net. You still only need one port throught the office firewall, but then you get complete access to your LAN. I was using the tunnel method for a while which worked great, but having a VPN to the house with local machines visible is unbeatable.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                            X