Insteon control with IR remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon control with IR remote

Does anyone have a recipe for controlling a few Insteon devices from my universal remote control?

I'd like to use one of the unused "component" buttons on the remote to turn Insteon lights on and off.

What hardware/software would I need to add to my HS computer? I don't want any intermediate X10 solutions.

FWIW, the WAF would go up significantly! ;-)

I know this soln doesn't work from the IR remote, but for what it's worth my wife likes the insteon rf control. If you've had Insteon for a while, they have a deal where you can trade in your old signal lincs for rflincs and get a free remote. the remote is slightly cheesy (not as bad as some of the X10) but works perfectly.

Comment

Thanks Brian,

I got that deal you mentioned, and you're right that remote is pretty cheezy. You'd think SH would want to have such a high profile (to guests) device like that a bit more substantial comfortable to hold.

I agree that this is not what I'm looking for and adds an additional remote to the coffee table, so I'm still looking.

Thanks again for the reply.

Anyone else?

Comment

One possibility would be to use X10. You would need two things: an appliance plug-in module and and IR to X10 converter.
        The appliance plug-in module would sit between the plug socket and your device.
        The IR to X10 converter (code name IR543) would sit in another plug socket of your choice. You would send IR commands to the IR543, it would translate them into X10 and send them via your power line to switch the device on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by aldredheron View Post
          One possibility would be to use X10. You would need two things: an appliance plug-in module and and IR to X10 converter.
          The appliance plug-in module would sit between the plug socket and your device.
          The IR to X10 converter (code name IR543) would sit in another plug socket of your choice. You would send IR commands to the IR543, it would translate them into X10 and send them via your power line to switch the device on and off.
          Insteon doesn't work with any universal remotes as far as I know. So you need to get an IR signal into your powerline as X10 noted above (then HS can trigger the lights when it sees the X10 code or you can setup the switches to respond to the X10 code - not sure why you need a tranceiver if you are using the IR543), or you need to have HS receive the IR code directly with something like the USB-UIRT. I would go the USB-UIRT route, more versitile and better looking and smaller than the X10 solution.

Comment

I have an Harmony Remote 9xx with IRLinc receiver, it works great.
            I hope this helps.
            Aldo

Comment

Yes. USB-UIRT for IR i/o to Homeseer. Then powermids or some other IR repeating device to get your IR signal from wherever you are to your USB-UIRT. That's what I use as it seemed to be the cheapest/easiest solution.
              HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
              Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Working...
              X