control a fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

control a fan

ok so tonight we come home from being out all night and our house is 62 degrees.... well the heat was at 74 when we left... so our heater is broken...
    well im using the gas fireplace to heat us up for now.....

well fireplace is off and to bed with lots of blankets we go.... it is cold outside!!!!!!!!!!

so tomorrow i am going to install something I have been putting off...
    first im going to see if any heater places are open.. if not then oh well..

but im going to install a fireplace can (we have had it for 2 years now..but havent installed)
    what it is is a fan motor and wires... you plug it in to an electrical box which i have to run from another feed (that is another story)....
    anyhow.. I have to put a box in and this fan motor has a plugin electric plug.....
    so how to automate? I automate when I have to modify something..

so I put the electrical box in and what... lamp module?
    the fan motor goes in and it has its own potentiometer style on off knob that you turn for different speeds......

I just dont know what to do and if im in there im open to oppertunities!!!!!!!!!
    wife will not complain because if im in there she dont know what im doing!!!!!!!!!

hah.....

so summary...

motor with wires to a on off knob that has a plug on it ...... needs to be automated!!!!!!!!!!!!

guidance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Only use a relay style module or you will burn the motor up. If a dimmable module was accidentally dimmed it could damage the blower motor.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Only use a relay style module or you will burn the motor up. If a dimmable module was accidentally dimmed it could damage the blower motor.

Rupp

where can you get one of these relays??? I got a situation where I have a ceiling fan that I would like to control. Currently I have a rotary switch that has on,off,1,2,3,4, (speeds) its a KDK brand fan, will the relay work with this type of Fan?
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

motor with wires to a on off knob that has a plug on it ...... needs to be automated!!!!!!!!!!!!

guidance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

You should start by using an appliance module( x10) or something similar, to turn the fan ON/OFF. Set the speed knob at the speed where you like it. I think you will find that once you have a speed you like you will probably not change it very often. Your automation will consist of having the fan turn ON/OFF when it needs to. If you really want to control the fan speed, it will add a lot of complexity and a lot of cost. You will need a special controller (you may be able to use a ceiling fan controller) which will cost around $100. I don't think the benefit of controlling the fan speed is worth the additional cost.
        I have 3 ceiling fans controlled with in-line fixture modules. They work great - when I need to change the fan speed, I use the manual slide switch.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Ok well I got the fan in and all wired up.... however the fan really sucks... so I didnt bother doing anything with it....

my house is still very cold as all the heating parts stores were closed today!!!!!
          so I have to take off of work tomorrow and go buy parts....

my gas bill should be better this month now!!!
          instead of being 74 degrees it is a nice 58 degrees!!!!

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Ok well I got the fan in and all wired up.... however the fan really sucks... so I didnt bother doing anything with it....

my house is still very cold as all the heating parts stores were closed today!!!!!
            so I have to take off of work tomorrow and go buy parts....

my gas bill should be better this month now!!!
            instead of being 74 degrees it is a nice 58 degrees!!!!
            I can sympathize, recently our very new heating system had stopped working about 4 different times over 3 months, once we woke up to a 50 degree house and no hot water. The other 3 times the house was in the 60's.
            Needless to say I was losing my temper, after 4 visits they seem to think there was a batch of bad oil filters for the furnace.

StevenE
            Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

yeah well mcallisters (pretty known local heating company) came out and the guy figured it to be the controller board... $446 installed plus the $70 diagnostic fee!!!! they dont remove the diagnostic fee!!!!!

so I said screw it... found one on google. and bought it... $106 and will be here tomorrow!!!

funny thing is the guy was cool. I even showed him the controller (universal replacement for mine) and he said it would work.... also while he and I were looking at my old unit.... I held the safety button on so he could show me that the diagnostic led wasnt working... well the heater fired up... and i was like... DAMN MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON!!!!
              so I removed my finger and we put the cover back on and the unit fired up.. seems this is the norm... so $180 in 2007 wasnt the problem...a oh look it fixed it but really didnt..... and ta boot... $180 is $70 diag fee and $110 for the glow piece that I picked up today for $20!!!!!!!

yikes...

Comment

I opted for the maintenance plan, which included the annual tuneup.

So for $280, I got a tune up and 4 service calls so far... I am hoping no more service calls.

StevenE
                Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

but im going to install a fireplace can (we have had it for 2 years now..but havent installed)
                  what it is is a fan motor and wires... you plug it in to an electrical box which i have to run from another feed (that is another story)....
                  anyhow.. I have to put a box in and this fan motor has a plugin electric plug.....
                  so how to automate? I automate when I have to modify something..

so I put the electrical box in and what... lamp module?
                  Never try to control anything other than lamps with a lamp module, normally you are restricted to incandescent lamps with these modules. Controlling anything else with them is for someone who knows what they are doing.

A motor is different and needs a special type of drive if you want to vary the speed, these units are normally called an inverter. Basically as others have already advised you need to use an appliance module, which is a relay that switches the load on and off.

Comment

yeah lamp modules can be bad if you dont add up the watts too... I had a lamp module controlling my track lights...
                    8x60w= TOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!! got hot!!!!!!!! melted the lamp module...

so for once something worked in my life.... first shot and all go..

my $106 universal controller came in for my heater... the plugs were in different spots.. so I used masking tape and wrote on the individual wires... looked and mapped everything out.. put the new controller in and viola... heater fired right up... so heat is back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now for my nastygram to mcallisters.... they should not charge the $70 if they do the work.. it just pisses me off that they were at my house in 2004, 2007 and never fixed the real issue.. it was intermittent.. but this guy had no problems....

Comment

Working...
                    X