How do you set a timer in HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you set a timer in HS?

I am converting over to HS from Hal2000 and it was fairly easy to create a timer in Hal or in my Ocelot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to set a timer in HS. I never even hear anyone talk about timers. Something tells me this is going to be complicated. I hope I'm wrong. Any ideas?

Originally posted by termite View Post
    I am converting over to HS from Hal2000 and it was fairly easy to create a timer in Hal or in my Ocelot, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to set a timer in HS. I never even hear anyone talk about timers. Something tells me this is going to be complicated. I hope I'm wrong. Any ideas?
    When I first moved from ECS to HS and saw no timers in HS I thought the same thing. But HS keeps track of the time for every device for the last change so I found it was really no big deal as each device is kind of a timer in itself. Can you give an example of something you want to do where you would have used a timer?

Comment

One example that comes to mind would be to turn the thermostat to off, if either the front or back door is left open for more than five minutes.

Comment

One example that comes to mind would be to turn the thermostat to off, if either the front or back door is left open for more than five minutes.
        Let's assume that you have a device known as "back door." You event would look something like this:

If Back Door has been off for exactly 5 minutes
        Then Thermostat set off

You will note that I used "exactly." You can also use "at least." The problem with "at least" your event would keep firing as long as back door was open. Even with "exactly" you may fire multiple times within the minute. To prevent that you can state that the event does not reactivate for 60 seconds. Or you could do something like:

If Back Door has been off for exactly 5 minutes
        And Thermostat is ON
        Then Thermostat set off

The above would also allow you to use "at least" but not fire once the stat was off.

Make sense?

Comment

I don't understand where I would enter the 5 minutes. Sorry, I'm sure this will click for mr soon!

Comment

I don't understand where I would enter the 5 minutes. Sorry, I'm sure this will click for mr soon!
            They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. The screen shot belows shows setting up an event and I am on the trigger tab. For a trigger I selected "condition." After you do that the line shows up with Time if day, group 1, etc. From there I selected "Device" and then submit. This is what brought up the bottom part of the screen. You can see that I selected Adam's Room: Lights, the condition, and then the 5 minutes (far right). I would click "add" to add this condition. Then I go back (you will not see this in the picture, but I think you'll get it) to the "Add a" and I would add my next condition, if I have any (such as indicating my thermostat is off).

Everything goes into group 1 unless you want an OR as each group is an OR. So if you wanted:

If door has been open and for at least 5 minutes
            And thermostat is On
            OR
            Door has changed to closed
            And thermostat is ON
            Then thermostat off.

Hope that is clear, but let me know if it is not.
            Attached Files

Comment

Mark, Thanks for taking the time to explain. I did not realise thatcould be done. I dont understand what "group one" is, but I will look on the website and play with this tonight.

Comment

Mark, Thanks for taking the time to explain. I did not realise thatcould be done. I dont understand what "group one" is, but I will look on the website and play with this tonight.
                No problem. Although it was long ago I remember my first days with HS and I wanted to do things exactly how I was used to doing them. HS could do, just differently. The screen shot below may help you with groups. This events has four groups, which are really just OR conditions. If the conditions in any of the four groups is met, the event will trigger.

Feel free to poke around on my setup if you like, http://sekelsky.homeip.net:81 use guest for both the user name and the password. Just don't turn any lights off on my wife.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mark, I sure appreciate your help. Not only do I see how the timers work, but I didn't get how to create a "or" scenario. Now all I need is practice! I've read all of the tutoials, but HS does not have tutorials for most of the slightly advanced tasks.

Comment

Have fun. There's lots of knowledge on this board if you get stumped.

Comment

Working...
                    X