USB or Serial? Which is better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB or Serial? Which is better?

I am going to buy Homeseer soon. Just upgraded my Pentium 100 to a 2.8 GHz. Bu tit has 1 serial and 3 USB ports. My old stuff uses serial so I am already out of serial ports.

So I have a serial X-10 controller, but I'm having to decide whether to buy a card with some more serial ports or buy a new X-10 controller for USB.

You guys know. Help the newbie out!

Go for the USB. Not many have needed it just yet, but as newer PCs run out of serial ports we'll all move there eventually.

-Rupp
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

From my experience, USB is better, but it's not too dramatic.

The criteria for judging an x10 interface are:
      1) reliability
      2) signal strength
      3) response speed
      4) easy integration with HS
      5) supports downloaded events

I've had one for many months, and all of these are satisfied well. However, I dont' think the USB does #5, which may be an issue for some. I can't speak to the specifics, but the CM11a has locked up on me, the USB hasn't. The USB response speed is slightly faster on receiving x10.

Comment

Hi,

Smarthome has released the Powerlinc Controller vis USB with 32KB of memory for storing commands. Here is the link:
        http://www.smarthome.com/1132cu.html

Hope that helps

Torpedo

Comment

Torpedo,
          That post is well over a year old ?
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
          X