Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X10 screw-in lamp modules on X10 controlled circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 screw-in lamp modules on X10 controlled circuit?

Hey all -

I have three overhead lights in my garage that are controlled by an X10 switch. Most of the time, I only need one of them on, but they are all on the same circuit.

Would it work if I used X10 screw-in lamp units in two of the fixtures? i.e. - when I hit the X10 switch for the garage the one light would turn on, and then I'd have to hit a second switch (smarthome keypadlinc) to turn on the other two?

I realize the second two would only turn on if the main circuit was already on, but I didn't know if the existing X10 controller switch would filter out the X10 signals going to the screw-in lamp modules.

It should work just fine, but...

If you have an x10 keypadlinc, use it as a transmitter only, put it where the light switch goes and wire it to bypass the switch so all 3 light fixtures are always on. Then you could assign 3 buttons on the keypadlinc, one for each screw in module.

So in the wall switch box there should be 2 black wires and 2 white. One pair would be the hot pair, the other would go to the lights. Normally the switch goes between the blacks. If you wire the blacks together, then connect the black, white and ground for the keypadlinc (do not use the red of the keypadlinc)

Does that make sense? Please if you are not in complete understanding, ask more questions before proceeding. Electricity is extremely dangerous
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

That's an interesting concept.

The garage lights are on a 3-way circuit, and there's a slave switch by the back door. So if I had them wired for "always on" I'd have to replace the slave with another keypadlinc, and I'm cheap.

But you've really helped me think through how to do this, and I think that having 3 screw-in modules might be the way to go. I can configure the hardwired switch and slave to turn on all 3 lights, and leave that on all the time. I could then configure the keypadlinc that's at the house entrance to the garage to control each light separately.

So if I turned on the lights from inside the garage (which I seldom do) I'd get all three, but if I turned them on from the keypad linc on my way into the garage (which is the common case) I'd could get 1, 2 or 3. I just need to make sure that I never turn the switch in the garage off.

On a side note - this used to be automatic controlled by a motion sensor so when I walked into the garage the lights would turn on. Then some feral cats moved in and the sensor was going off all the time.....so I had to disable it.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X