Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LCD TV Noise renders modules unresponsive

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    LCD TV Noise renders modules unresponsive

    I am the proud owner of a two hour long major noise issue.

    The good news: We just got two new LCD TV's.

    The Bad news: They have rendered all modules on their circuits completely worthless.

    Worse still is that one of those modules controls one of the TV's itself. I am at a complete loss as where to go from here. Most of the modules on these circuits are your run of the mill X10 appliance modules.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to control the noise from one TV into the wall and the 2nd TV into the appliance module.

    Thank you,
    Ross

    #2
    You have a FilterLinc on the TV that is not connected to the appliance module?

    http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10.html

    I find that these are a must for devices like that, to keep them from absorbing/adding noise to the line.

    As for the one on the appliance module, I will let someone else chime in. You won't be able to put the appliance module on the filter side of that, as it will block x-10 from getting to it. Might have to go with some kind of IR blaster setup to control that tv, if it is necessary to be able to turn it on and off via x-10.

    Comment


      #3
      You didn't say what modules you use but assuming they are a powerline based module (ie X10, Insteon,etc) you may want to switch to a wireless Z-Wave modules that aren't affected by all these new toys.
      -Rupp
      sigpic

      Comment


        #4
        if they are X10 appliance modules a fairly inexpensive filter plug in between the module and the TV should fix you up.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

        Comment


          #5
          The first step should be to plug the TV into a filter to see if that cures the problem. There are several to choose from http://www.automatedoutlet.com/_sear...age=1&q=filter
          If you put the filter between the TV and your appliance module you should still be able to use X10. It will look even dorkier then the appliance module alone, though, so hide it well.

          A short 'extension' cord between the two may help. Appliance module in the wall with short cord plugged into it. Filter at end of short cord, TV plugged into the filter.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

          HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

          Comment


            #6
            Make sure you look at the power consumption of the TV when choosing a filter. Too small a filter will a)burn out and b) won't be effective if the rating is borderline of its max current draw.

            quickie ohm's law calculation (figures watts into amps)
            watts divided by volts equals amps

            so if it draws 650 watts, it is using (provided you are on 120 volt (USA)) 5.41 amps, so in this case use a 10 amp plugin filter
            Over The Hill
            What Hill?
            Where?
            When?
            I Don't Remember Any Hill

            Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

            Comment


              #7
              Thanks everyone!

              Ordered some filters and we shall see what happens.

              Regards
              R

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                ...If you put the filter between the TV and your appliance module you should still be able to use X10.
                I didn't even think of doing that. Duh. I wish I had seen this thread a long time ago. I've always wondered how to both control something with x-10 and have it filtered. I feel so stupid now... ha.

                Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                Make sure you look at the power consumption of the TV when choosing a filter. Too small a filter will a)burn out and b) won't be effective if the rating is borderline of its max current draw.
                Agreed on that one. I just always bought 10-amp (as opposed to 5). The ~$5 price difference is worth it, since I'm not an electrician and don't know how much crap I may want to plug into it (computer / home entertainment areas).

                Use of filters is one of those make or break decisions for those of us too poor to upgrade to the newer technologies.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by ross_ditlove View Post
                  Thanks everyone!

                  Ordered some filters and we shall see what happens.

                  Regards
                  R
                  I wish to happily report that I put the filters inplace between the appliance module and the TV's and all works as expected now.

                  Thanks for the help!

                  Ross

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Don't want to bring up an old thread, but I have a related issue. A few weeks ago, I received my nice, new 52" Samsung lcd. I replaced the CRT that was in the living room with this. The CRT (as well as the stb, receiver, etc) were all on a 10-amp filterlinc and never had a problem. The new tv is now on that same filter. Now, when that nice new hdtv is powered up, that entire circuit in my house becomes almost unsable.

                    Unless I missing something, I thought that is what these filters were supposed to prevent. Do these filters only stop x-10 from going to whatever is plugged into them as opposed from stopping noise from these devices getting back out to the power line?

                    Or has anyone had the filterlics just go completely out and/or quit working effectively?

                    I was thinking of ordering a few more, just for good measure, but my home was working flawlessly for a long time and if these filters are not effective against this type of noise getting through, then I need to look for another solution to getting these tv's noise off the line.

                    Any experience? I know it's sad I'm still on our old friend x-10...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by TreeFrog View Post
                      Don't want to bring up an old thread, but I have a related issue. A few weeks ago, I received my nice, new 52" Samsung lcd. I replaced the CRT that was in the living room with this. The CRT (as well as the stb, receiver, etc) were all on a 10-amp filterlinc and never had a problem. The new tv is now on that same filter. Now, when that nice new hdtv is powered up, that entire circuit in my house becomes almost unsable.

                      Unless I missing something, I thought that is what these filters were supposed to prevent. Do these filters only stop x-10 from going to whatever is plugged into them as opposed from stopping noise from these devices getting back out to the power line?

                      Or has anyone had the filterlics just go completely out and/or quit working effectively?

                      I was thinking of ordering a few more, just for good measure, but my home was working flawlessly for a long time and if these filters are not effective against this type of noise getting through, then I need to look for another solution to getting these tv's noise off the line.

                      Any experience? I know it's sad I'm still on our old friend x-10...
                      The filter "Helps" however it was not enough. My solution was to also add new non X-10 appliance modules. This stacked solution has been working without issue. I can not say the same for the Wii or Dell laptop power supplies but I am making progress.

                      RHS

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I have a Vizio LCD that practically knocks out one end of the house. A filter helped slightly but I eventually ended up using an isolation transformer. Rather expensive compared to a filter but it made a night and day difference. The power 'conditioners' for AV systems (Monster) won't work either as they do not provide true line isolation.

                        Here's a 500 watt model from Radio Shack for $160

                        I switch the transformer off when I'm not using it since it draws about 20 watts unloaded.


                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Xtension View Post
                          I have a Vizio LCD that practically knocks out one end of the house. A filter helped slightly but I eventually ended up using an isolation transformer. Rather expensive compared to a filter but it made a night and day difference. The power 'conditioners' for AV systems (Monster) won't work either as they do not provide true line isolation.

                          Here's a 500 watt model from Radio Shack for $160

                          I switch the transformer off when I'm not using it since it draws about 20 watts unloaded.


                          Wow, kind of a pricey way to go, but it appears I have no choice. Today I tried "double-isulating" the tv by adding a another 10-amp filter between it and the existing 10-amp filter. Didn't make a lick of difference. I also tried unplugging it completely and x-10 once again returned to normal. Darn. This tv is putting out so much noise that modules close to it are turning on without any x-10 commands being sent on the line. It really freaks me out and aggrivates me to no end.

                          These isolation transformers remind me of a battery backup. I'm not sure a battery backup does isolation when it is on A/C power. The 20 watt problem doesn't bother me much, as, according to specs, this tv draws 20 watts sitting off anywho. Considering I paid over $3K for this tv, I think this would be one of the best types of surge protectors to use to protect it as well.

                          Thanks for the great suggestion. Looks like that's the way I'm headed (and quickly).

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't have a large lcd tv so I don't know if this will work for that, but I use several of these on my large items http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...0&cat=0&page=1

                            on my pond pump. my 2200 ups, the 10k btu window air conditioner in my equipment closet and the circuit for my office. You might also try the smarthome 15a plugin. You might be overloading the 10a plugin filter

                            I have been happy with these. Being wired in you have to be creative in connecting them. I use either a metal junction box with pigtails or a multi gang plastic remodel box with a blank plate
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?
                            I Don't Remember Any Hill

                            Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I am planning on wall-mounting an LCD, with cable and power on the wall behind it. But it does not look like I'll have a whole room behind the mount for a wall-wart-sized filter (especially my ACT filters). Any ideas?

                              Mark
                              Mark

                              Hometroller S6 w/ HS3Pro, Way2Call
                              BLAB8SS, BL Backup, Easy Trigger, HSTouch, Open Sprinkler, SONOS, Ultra1Wire3, UltraM1G, WeatherXML, Z-Wave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X