LCD TV Noise renders modules unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
    You might also try the smarthome 15a plugin. You might be overloading the 10a plugin filter
    I've thought about that, but according to my (very simple) amp calculations, I'm only hitting around 8.5 amps (at full load). Even then, that wouldn't explain away using another filter on just the tv behind the other existing filter. That one 10-amp filter for just the tv couldn't have been near the limit, as the tv pulls ~3.4 amps max. I really think that these filters do a great job keeping x-10 from being absorbed, just not that effecient at keeping noise from going back out to the power line.

Originally posted by Mark S. View Post
    I am planning on wall-mounting an LCD, with cable and power on the wall behind it. But it does not look like I'll have a whole room behind the mount for a wall-wart-sized filter (especially my ACT filters). Any ideas?
    I would think that the wired in-line product jackpod mentioned above would be good for you, however (and I am no electrician) I would have this filter mouted somewhere inline that is going to be accessible in the future. I wouldn't permantly mount it in the wall unless maybe it would fit into some kind of gang box (which you could cover with one of those blank faceplates). That product he mentioned is desribed directly as a "noise" filter, which may mean it is designed differently that the smarthome line of filterlincs. If I recall, smarthome usually markets filterlincs for use more to keep x-10 from going into devices that would absorb them. Noise filtering seems to be a second priority.

Do you have crawl space above that room? You could leave yourself a place to try different filters between the main and the power going down the wall to the tv and change it out as necessary. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFrog View Post

I would think that the wired in-line product jackpod mentioned above would be good for you, however (and I am no electrician) I would have this filter mouted somewhere inline that is going to be accessible in the future. I wouldn't permantly mount it in the wall unless maybe it would fit into some kind of gang box (which you could cover with one of those blank faceplates). That product he mentioned is desribed directly as a "noise" filter, which may mean it is designed differently that the smarthome line of filterlincs. If I recall, smarthome usually markets filterlincs for use more to keep x-10 from going into devices that would absorb them. Noise filtering seems to be a second priority.
      You would have to put it in a box of some kind. It would be against code to just have it hanging in the wall. Either a multigang remodel box or a flush mount junction box would work nicely

LCD's have switching power supplies which are a big "absorber" of X10 signals, so it could be that your LCD is just sucking all the signal when on
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?
      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Just wanted to update this thread with what I did to solve the problem. A few weeks ago, I went ahead and followed the suggestion above to buy an isolation transformer. Kinda pricey solution for one problem device, but really had no other choice (albeit probably a good thing for this $3K tv, since the power here sucks). Got the Tripp Lite IS500 (500 watt). Plugged it up on the filtered side of an existing Filterlinc. Turned the TV on and let it get all warmed up throwing all kinds of noise out and wholla... I had full communication again! Turned lights on the problem circuit on and off many times with out missing a beat. Before, when that TV was on, a number of lights on that circuit would get a signal maybe ~40% of the time.

But, just for good measure (and since I still had the rare occasional module not respond, but it was this way before the TV), I went ahead and ordered a TI103 from Homeseer. Been using it for a couple of weeks now and I don't think I've had a single module miss a command. I was somewhat reluctant to invest more in X10 stuff, but I just don't have the budget right now to start migrating to newer tech and X10 still works wonderfully for me. I must say that I was impressed with the build quality of the TI103 and the documentation is probably one of the best I've seen for a simple device with a simple purpose. I know that sounds stupid, but when I purchase a product, a lot of times my gut feeling on quality is based on the time put into the documentation, I don't know.

Anywho... both of those are great suggestions for anyone poor like me still hanging onto X10 and having little problems.

Comment

Working...
        X