Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DS10A Changing the contacts

A newb question but I wont know if I don't ask

Would changing the contacts for a DS10A for stronger contacts work?

I'd like to house both parts within some plastic and then seal them with silicon. At the moment I don't seem to be getting any life, so I thought stronger contacts would mean better results.

Cheers

So are your contacts not "breaking" or "connecting" now?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If I open and close the contacts I get the red LED that flashes.

If I place each into a different piece of plastic then no red LED flashes.

I'm hoping the contacts can be replaced for stronger ones so that the unit will work.

Is this so? would the thicker the barrier mean stronger contacts or am I barking up the wrong tree?

No relevance but a bit of background, these are new from the US and I wont be connecting them to HS until I order an RFXCOM Rx'er. I've had these a few weeks now and only just decided to have a look.

Thanks

Comment

When you say 'stronger' contacts, do you mean a stronger magnet and/or more sensitive switch? I've had no problem substituting other magnetic switches, including very wide gap devices designed for garage doors. They typically work across up to 3-4 inch gap, but they are also quite bulky. Others have used a wide variety of other switches. (Do a search on DS10 on this board for a sampling.)

You could also experiment with changing just the magnet side of the sensor, replacing the one supplied with the DS10 by a stronger one from a novelty or science outlet.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

You can use magnets such as these for a really wide gap.
          http://www.smarthome.com/7455.html

Comment

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear I'm off magnet hunting!

Comment

Let us know what you find. There are always others look for better magnets.

Comment

I use several of these http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...cat=203&page=1 not only for garage doors but they also work great for chain link gates. Just attach the wires to the DS10a
                Over The Hill
                What Hill?
                Where?
                When?
                I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Working...
                X