Water leak detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak detection

What are you guys doing for water leak detection? I have a need to implement something using a ds10a or similar. My outside Koi pond didn't fare well this last winter (worst winter we have had here in 20 years) lost my filter system and a 7 year old koi...

So i built my koi a pond inside the house, a 1,000 gallon pond. I have the filters setting in water heater drip pans, but with a pump that can pump 2500 gallons an hour, I want an automated way to shut the pump down if any water appears where it doesn't belong. I would really be an unhappy camper to come home to find 1,000 gallons of water in my house

Ideas? Suggestions? Solutions?

Thanks

Jack
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Jack,
    I use the DS10A's along with the Hobby-Boards Leaf Wetness Sensors. Attached is a pic of the install. They work really well. So well in fact that just a week or so back I was alerted to a leak and when I got home it was a bottle of shampoo that had been knocked over.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp!

That is a great idea!. I just ordered 5 and can place them in strategic locations, not that I don't trust my plumbing skills, but 1000 gallons of water could do some damage

Thanks again for the brilliant solution!

Jack
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Rupp, Thanks again for the tip on the leaf moisture sensors, they work great and have really good sensitivity
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?

Comment

You're welcome. This is a really nice, simple, and inexpensive way to do leak detection.

Comment

I want to add my thanks also. I picked up one of these moisture sensors and it's a great addition to the HS bag o' tricks. And it was so cheap. Rupp, you are a font of HA knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by RegForte View Post
              I want to add my thanks also. I picked up one of these moisture sensors and it's a great addition to the HS bag o' tricks. And it was so cheap. Rupp, you are a font of HA knowledge
              I wouldn't go that far. I just reiterate information I learned here on the board.

Comment

I just recieved the leaf sensors today, they sure are awfuly small for the price 1" x 1".
                Hector
                MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                  I just recieved the leaf sensors today, they sure are awfuly small for the price 1" x 1".
                  That's the beauty, they are small and very sensitive which makes them easy to place under toilets and sinks and such.

Comment

You can certainly make your own product, but Hobby Boards already figured out the best scenario for coatings vs sensitivity. If you need more coverage just wire them in parallel.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

They'll only corrode if they are in a "high" leak area. Most of them shouldn't corrode in areas like under sinks.

Comment

Here ya go (I hope I am not infringing any copyrights.) I have made plenty of pcb's in my many years of being in electronics, but consider this to be a double sided board, gold plated contacts. I don't think HobbyBoards is getting rich @ $4 a board
                        Attached Files
                        Over The Hill
                        What Hill?
                        Where?
                        When?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                          Jack,
                          I use the DS10A's along with the Hobby-Boards Leaf Wetness Sensors. Attached is a pic of the install. They work really well. So well in fact that just a week or so back I was alerted to a leak and when I got home it was a bottle of shampoo that had been knocked over.

I've looked around on the site and others and can't find an answer. Was looking to implement your leak detector for detecting a sump pump failure. I currently have no X10 components.

What is required to interface the DS10a to pc running Homeseer, is a security panel required or is an x10 RF receiver(ex RFXCOM) all that is necessary?

Comment

Either the RFXcom unit or a w800
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?

Comment

DS10A water detection

I just received my first DS10A unit and am looking to implement the leak detector like Rupp mentioned using the leaf wetness sensor from Hobby Boards. I have the DS10A setup in the RFXCOM plugin. When the contacts are closed the status is normal when they are open the status is alert.
                              I have not received the boards from Hobby Boards yet but would the contacts on the DS10A need to work reverse for alert to indicate a leak and normal to indicate no leak?

Thanks
                              Tom2257

Comment

Working...
                              X