No announcement yet.

Water leak detection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhh... Someone who knows exactly what triggered me to ask about sump pump monitoring. Yeah we managed to stay dry, but only 'cause we had two pumps going non-stop for about 18 hours and one of them is still going today. We had 2 feet of water in the street and in the neighboring lot just a couple feet outside our basement windows. Several of our neighbors got flooded pretty badly. Can't imagine what it's like in TX.

Our battery backup pump has a LOUD alarm, so I'm not worried about the times I'm home. Just would like some kind of warning when I'm away from home. Once I have a detection method, I will probably just have HS send a message to my cell phone.

I ordered a couple of the boards Rupp suggested since they are cheap enough. Will see how well they'll work for this application. I'm thinking of trying a variation on what TeleFragger suggested and sticking a plastic cup on the side wall of the sump pit and dropping the board inside. This should protect from splashing and if the cup fills with water, then there's a problem.

Comment

I remember all too well growing up with sump pumps being a part of my life. Either it was the noise of the pump or the lake at the bottom of the stairs. If you've got the room, install two pumps with the newer ones float higher than the older pump. We always needed a spare. The other thing is if you are prone to having the power go out. Then visit your local marine store and get a bilge pump that will run off the car battery.
      Stuart

Comment

thanks guys... so what do i attach the leaf sensor to? a wireless unit?
        HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post
          thanks guys... so what do i attach the leaf sensor to? a wireless unit?
          Have a look at post #2
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

rupp i built and tested 6 ds10a's with the hobby boards leaf sensor... all good. now that i have plAced them under sinks i get some false alerts from two of them every once in a while when there is no reason for water trigger... i have rfxcom receiver... antenna only in basement so i need to extend range but one of the units is not too far... thoughts? thanks
            HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Well. Today I took a cotton ball and soaked it and placed it on my leaf sensor. I got nothing with water setting on the leaf sensor. So now my question is why. The batteries are still being reported as OK so I'm at a loss as to why these aren't working. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Well. Today I took a cotton ball and soaked it and placed it on my leaf sensor. I got nothing with water setting on the leaf sensor. So now my question is why. The batteries are still being reported as OK so I'm at a loss as to why these aren't working. Any suggestions?

how many do you have and do they all do that???

that is weird... what happens if you pour water straight onto one?

I know these are cheap and good solutions.. but i have 0 issues with my $50 concord 4 ones.. going to get another as i had water in the corner of the basement the other day... under the carpet... so little didnt know it was there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

It's only happening one one sensor. I put it in a cup of water and it's not triggering. I may have to try this:
                  http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...5&postcount=39

Comment

It may be a cold solder joint or loose connection. Possibly dirt or corrosion? Remove the leaf sensor, then take a resistance meter and measure the resistance between the wire leads (remember to keep your fingers off of the meter's tips). Compare it to a working one.
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      Rupp,

I have a ds10 and 50 of speaker cable going down into my water well and it triggers fine when the water level drops. I am using the leaf sensor only no other parts

Thanks

Thom

Comment

Working...
                      X