Multi computer automation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi computer automation.

I am not sure of the best place to post this so I put it here. My question is this. I have my main automation computer running Windows Xp. I have also put a 2nd computer together running Windows XP Media center. My plan is to have the media computer run all Entertainment type things. iTunes, TV, DVD library. I am going to put a 500 Gig external hard drive on the media center.

I have downloaded Net remote to use my ipaq 6315 as a wireless remote. I also have the trial of Girder 4.

My question is this. What is the best way to put this together and have everthing talk to each other. Do I install HS on both Pc's? Girder On both. both computers use usb-uirt. How are others doing this? (Okay so it may have been more then one question )

I have about 25 days on my trials to figure out the best solution so any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
    Kirk

http://cleverhouseautomation.ca
    http://southcoastwebsitedesign.ca

The HomeSeer Media Center plugin can run on a PC that is not hosting HomeSeer. So you would install part of the Media Center plugin on your Media PC and the other part on your HS server. The problem is the XP Media Center Plugin is getting left behind for the newer Vista media Center Plugin.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi LDragon,

My setup is faily similar to yours. I Have a Vista computer runinng HS and I have and XP Media center in the theater with a few diffrent drives attached to it. I use another program called Mainlobby running on the MCE computer. On both computers I run the server program for MainLobby called MLServer. I use the HSPLUGIN for Mainlobby to get data to cross between HS and MainLobby. I also use a program called MCEControl. Which is a TCPIP control for MCE. Basically I have buttons in MainLobby that send tcpip commands to the MCE computer to controll all functions of the MCE. The reason I am using MLServer on the MCE computer is that it is located along with all of my AV equipment in the theater and I use an InferRed blaster and other RS232 controls to control all of the AV stuff.

let me know if you need any additional info.

MB

Comment

hey mbrett any info and component list you could give me would be greatly appreciated i think we are working on similiar or goal orientated project

Comment

Hi midknight,

can you be a little more specific to what you would like for me to detail for you? All of the programs and plugins are all PC based and should run on any PC platform computer. As far as my AV equipment. I dont have anything over the top, it is all pretty much run of the mill stuff, Onkyo Amp, Optima Projector, Sirius Tuner, Oppo DVD player, some brand DVI Switch, and a Jandy interface for my pool equipment.

Let me know what else you would need (info wise): or feel free to send me a PM with your cell number and I will give you a call if you want to get into true details.. Anything I can do to help and guide you would be my pleasure.

thanks

MB

Comment

If you are a script adept, the best way to glue remote computers to the HS Server is the Script Connector plugin.
            --
            stipus

Comment

stipus,

okay thats a new one for me..... what is the script connector? I have never heard of it... where can I find out more?

Comment

The Script Connector is a plugin.
                You can get it from the HomeSeer updater.
                There is a 30-day trial period.

With the Script Connector plugin, you can run HomeSeer scripts on remote computers. You can access remote computer local resources, and glue all this with HomeSeer.

See here for a list of sample remote scripts:
                http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=123250
                --
                stipus

Comment

ok stipus just way over my head ... um what would you be using the script connector for? and heres a short but well full list of what I have as I am pretty much starting out .
                  • Vista - HSPRO -trial
                  • Vista - Media Center
                  • Windows Home Server
                  • 2 - VGP-XL1B 200 dvd changers
                  • Sony Str-DA5300es
                  • 17" ELO touchscreen
                  • Harmony 890 remote
                  • 10 - Z-Wave devices (hoping to get more as I can determine what i need and where) (also $$$$)
                  now the list of expansions
                  • webcams
                  • 2 more touchscreens (not sure mainlobby or what to run them off of)
                  • more Z-wave devices (thermostats, outdoor controllers, lighting, and when I figure it out window blinds control)
                  • and anything else idea wise I find that will make this house more efficient

thats it for now I plan to upgrade to a full version soon but I am still debating if I want the PRO or regular version of HS since I am not sure what features I will need in the future or what will give me the best future expansion platform

thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                  X