Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a "standard" thermostat really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a "standard" thermostat really necessary?

Hi guys,

I am new to the thermostat area, so please consider this when reading my post and be gentle... :-)

I was wondering: is there any obvious reason I may not be considering for not using a straight temperature sensor (for example, a wireless temp sensor with RFXCom) in combination with an X10 universal receiver module to control the boiler relay? Then, some logic would have to be written in HS for managing the set points, schedule, etc.

I know for example, that a standard thermostat allows for some leeway in the way it handles set points, so that if you set 20 degrees C, the boiler will switch off at 20 but it won't come on again at 19.9, etc. so as to not be always coming on and off... is this a challenge when scripting with HS?

What it comes down to is: is it simpler to use a standard thermostat, albeit with the added complication of having a unit that must be compatible with HS / plugins, or will a temp sensor + X10 module do just as well?

Would very much appreciate your views...
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548| Plug-Ins Enabled: Sonos 3.1.0.57, RFXCOM 30.0.0.45, X10 3.0.0.62, IPThermostat 3.4.5.0, Pushover 3P 0.0.0.54, Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206, Z-Wave 3.0.10.0, BLML2HS 2.0.28.0, mcsMQTT 6.12.4.0, Insteon 3.0.7.19​​ | Win 7 32-bit | Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86GHz 4GB RAM

A wired thermostat is not really necessary, however, keep in mind that computer control depends on the computer's ability to run without interruption.

If your computer crashes or stops, so does your temperature control...

Personnally, what I do is keep the regular thermostat, but I override it with computer control only when I need to. That way, if the computer goes down, the wired thermostat is still there to control the heating and/or cooling.

In any event, never bypass any built-in safety mechanism...

Joel

Comment

I would prefer the Digimax which has a set point. This device can also be received by the RFXCOM receiver.
      http://www.domolandia.com/DOMOTICA-D..._53/index.html

Comment

Joel,

I see your point. For the moment, HomeSeer has been installed on a brand new WinXP server, with absolutely nothing more installed. As such, it has proven extremely stable, now running over two weeks without a hickup.

The only time the PC would be down is due to a power cut, but in that case, the boiler would be out as well, so now control could ever work with it. I have the server connected to a UPS that allows about 15 mins worth of supply, and all outages I have experienced in my area in the last few years rarely exceed 30 sec to 1 minute... but then, you may never know until it happens!!

I will look into using a "proper" thermostat
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548| Plug-Ins Enabled: Sonos 3.1.0.57, RFXCOM 30.0.0.45, X10 3.0.0.62, IPThermostat 3.4.5.0, Pushover 3P 0.0.0.54, Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206, Z-Wave 3.0.10.0, BLML2HS 2.0.28.0, mcsMQTT 6.12.4.0, Insteon 3.0.7.19​​ | Win 7 32-bit | Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86GHz 4GB RAM

Comment

Bert,

you even sent me a URL to a Spanish site!!! :-)

I will read into the Digimax. What I am looking for is the ability to remotely set the set point. I don't have the RFXCom transmitter (yet) and not sure if that would work with the Digimax. I will go and read about the Digimax a little before I decide the way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
            A wired thermostat is not really necessary, however, keep in mind that computer control depends on the computer's ability to run without interruption.

If your computer crashes or stops, so does your temperature control...

Personnally, what I do is keep the regular thermostat, but I override it with computer control only when I need to. That way, if the computer goes down, the wired thermostat is still there to control the heating and/or cooling.

In any event, never bypass any built-in safety mechanism...

Joel

I agree with Joel on this. I have a standard boiler stat which is there for back up purposes only, and use a Digimax 210 to set the setpoint and monitor room temperatre in HS.

I've had to use the back up twice (I think!) once when Mr Gates's updates didn't go as planned and the other when the computer power supply packed up.

Andy

Comment

Andy, could you please expand a little on your setup? I am interested in the standard boiler stat as the backup

Comment

Working...
              X