Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sunset time conditionals

Hello all,
    I am trying to run my normal lighting mode based on conditionals of sunset. I have tried using 30 minutes before sunset but it never fires. If I simply put after sunset, it works. The trigger is the security motion sensor in my living room, based on status change. When you use the conditions of minutes past/before sunset, does it only recognize that exact moment? Say for instance, sunset is at 8:00 PM. I have it set to a conditional of "30 minutes before sunset" which I would think the time of 7:30 should satisfy the condition. But if I walk past the sensor at say 7:45, it won't work. Surely this conditional should mean any time after the offset? I don't know how to write scripts so have to rely on the conditionals. I can use sunset, but it's a bit too dark for inside lights.

Thanks,
    John

For what you're trying to do you might be better off setting up a virtual device that you can use in a condition. Something like having the virtual device turning on at 30 minutes before sunset and then using that device being on as part of a conditional trigger.

if the virtual device is on
    and
    motion is detected

turn on your light

This way motion will not all by itself turn on the light, it would have to also have to see that that virtual device is also on. If the virtual device is off then motion alone will not turn on your light.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I do what Nightwalker is suggesting. Your question about 7:30? It is the instant that it recognizes..... so it would not trigger at 7:45.

Comment

Hey guys,
        Thanks for the ideas. Too bad the "after sunset" doesn't mean anytime after that variable. So I see I need to make an event just for my status, which will change the status of the virtual device at that time before sunset, after which the conditionals based on motion would be satisfied. Seems I also then will have to have the motion event turn the virtual status back off, otherwise every time the sensor detected motion it would refire..So in the motion activated event, I would have it fire a macro, based on the status of the virtual upon motion, then have it turn that status back off as a device action..
        Okay! I think that will work..Thanks guys..Just couldn't rattle that one out in my own head..

John

Comment

John, I believe that "after sunset" does mean anytime after sunset, but (and I must add that I haven't tried this since I found this type of thing to cause me problems) "30 minutes after sunset" means just that..... 30 minutes after the time of sunset, which is a specific time mark.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
            John, I believe that "after sunset" does mean anytime after sunset, but (and I must add that I haven't tried this since I found this type of thing to cause me problems) "30 minutes after sunset" means just that..... 30 minutes after the time of sunset, which is a specific time mark.
            Yeah I meant the "X" minutes after sunset, would be nice if it meant anytime after the X minutes...The anytime after sunset works great, if that time works well..Working on my events now..

Thanks again!
            John

Comment

What about a photo electric cell placed in a shadow area that triggers what ever you wish, you could have it create events to trigger 10 mins after darkness or what ever delay you wish.

You can also have it create an event to run the next day 30 mins before it triggered the night before. The down side of that is if you had a particularly dull (light wise) day, it could be slightly premature, also if you are using daylight saving it will go out by one hour on that day, but I find I can live with that.
              sigpic
              A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I'm having the same problem. Just battled with this for an hour before I came to the conclusion that this is totally busted. There would be no use for "x minutes after sunset" to mean Exactly at that time.

Every other home automation software I've ever used always means "after (sunset + x minutes).

Comment

Originally posted by sorka View Post
                  I'm having the same problem. Just battled with this for an hour before I came to the conclusion that this is totally busted. There would be no use for "x minutes after sunset" to mean Exactly at that time.

Every other home automation software I've ever used always means "after (sunset + x minutes).
                  It isn't broken, the condition reads "x minutes after sunset" it doesn't read "anytime after x minutes after sunset" I have a dozen events that run at various times before and after sunset (and sunrise too), for example my gate lights turn on every night at 15 minutes after geological sunset, I have a TTS announcement as a reminder to lock up the chickens at 20 minutes after sunset. I have another that I use as a virtual, on my RFID for my electric gate to turn on outside lights when I arrive if it is passed sunset, so when I arrive on the property specified outside lights are already on as I am driving onto the property instead of waiting for motion to trigger the lights. (there are dozens of wild rabbits on my property and I want them to have an advanced warning) another example is my front gate which is 200' from the house, well passed the range of motion sensors, so if the "dark" virtual is on and the gate is open, specified outside lights come on. I also have other TTS reminders that occur x number of minutes after sunset, like if there are doors or lights on in the garage or other out buildings...
                  Over The Hill
                  What Hill?
                  Where?
                  When?
                  I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Sure there is. For one example, I want my outside lights to turn on at 30 minutes after sunset, not 30 minutes after sunset and 31 minutes after sunset and 32 minutes after sunset and 33 minutes after sunset..... You get the idea.

Have you tried using the condition "Nightime" (which means ANY time between sunset and sunrise).

Comment

Originally posted by DC View Post
                      Have you tried using the condition "Nightime" (which means ANY time between sunset and sunrise).
                      If, for some reason, you find 'Nighttime' too constraining (I do. In my case a hill causes sunrise and sunset to come later than normal.) you can define your own designator using a virtual device. Turn on the device when you choose, at x minutes after sunset, and off when you choose, at y minutes after sunrise. Then you can use the state of the device as your condition.
                      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I use a photoelectric gizmo and enjoy the fact that the lights, which normally only come on at night (after sunset) will also come on on a very dull day. It can get awfully dark if there's a storm about.

I use virtual devices a lot and have some that are linked to sunrise and sunset. I even have my wake up alarm linked to sunrise - and would be in deep poo if the alarm didn't go off when I want it to (I don't wake easily).

There are heaps of events linked to sunrise and sunset at my place - and lots of virtual sensors the same, that are used to control things during the day or at night, plus do calculations for weather and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X