Monitor & terminate iexplore.exe process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor & terminate iexplore.exe process

When some of the events run that access resources on the internet, for RSS feeds, weather grabbers, etc., I sometimes see an error with a site being available. The thing is... it IS available, but apparently IEXPLORE.exe process is hung in the background and won't grab any more web site data until I either restart HS or stop the iexplore.exe process (manually right now).

Is there a simple way to monitor whether the iexplore.exe process is hung, and a way to correct it or prevent it?

My windoze event logs show nothing out of the ordinary. My HS logs show at least 1 web site is offline, but it isn't, nor is the HS computer's ability to connect. As soon as I manually shut down iexplore.exe process via task mgr or restart HS, problem solved.

The HS computer is hard-wired into the router with a quality cable, with no errors to speak of reported on the LAN or WAN.

My *guess* is it is a security issue with Norton Antivirus or some other thing stopping iexplore from running and doing it's job. I have not had any success at tracking it down, and don't want to stop the AV software to test the theory.

Anyone else have similar problems, and if so, did you find a simple work-around? Personally, I'd prefer it if HS didn't leave iexplore.exe running between calls, then I could quickly see an escalation of errors and see HS needs some of my attention.

Comments welcome.
    huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Huggy,

I don't know about monitoring if IE hangs, but I have setup two scripts (one for counting IE instances running, and another to kill them) based on this small script that Sooty published here:

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=127413 (see post #5).

In my case, I use IE to open a specific URL to send an SMS when an alert condition is generated by RFXCom - only issue is that for each alert, a new IE instance is generated.

I basically run the script periodically, and when I have more than 2-3 instances running, I just kill them. I suppose you could always set it up so that after your event has completed, this one is triggered to kill IE.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548| Plug-Ins Enabled: Sonos 3.1.0.57, RFXCOM 30.0.0.45, X10 3.0.0.62, IPThermostat 3.4.5.0, Pushover 3P 0.0.0.54, Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206, Z-Wave 3.0.10.0, BLML2HS 2.0.28.0, mcsMQTT 6.12.4.0, Insteon 3.0.7.19​​ | Win 7 32-bit | Intel Atom D2550 @ 1.86GHz 4GB RAM

Comment

Another option...

You can use my Process Monitoring script to monitor Internet Explorer and my Application/Process Control script to shut it down.
      Jon

Comment

Working...
      X