X10 camera user, what your experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 camera user, what your experience?

I am planning to intergrate camera in my home, I would like to know from those folks that are using x10 camera, what are there experience with these cheap cameras?
    • How are you connecting them to HS?
    • Is the video quality fare?
    • what type are you using?
    • are you using any addtional software?
    thanks in advance.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

X10 cameras, the cheap ones are in fact cheap... the quality is poor, the wireless is a bad idea if you go that route.

I have an older black and white x10 cam that's wired, the quality is okay, but when it gets dim outside it's useless. On the other hand I picked up a bullet camera with a 1/3" sony ccd 0.01lux and it's really clear, the quality even at night with dim light is still useable, add some IR emmitters or have a light flick on it's very very clear.

I use a hauppauge capture card and webcamXP, though I'm not a big fan of webcamXP it's what I have for now. I used to use zoneminder on linux and I liked that a ton better, but I wanted to stop running some many computers 24/7

Now on the other hand, the really expensive cameras that you can buy from x10 are great quality. Just expensive.
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

well we are in this delema at this moment.....

my boss has twins and got a new sitter... well with today's day and age he wants cameras now.... and yes the sitter will know..

anyhow.. he bought the ninja pan and tilt, wireless cam and software via x10.com
      it cost him $140 I think...

he didnt like it... said it was too grainy for video in the house... he talked to their tech support and they said the cameras are good for outside more than inside... but yeah... I told him you get what you pay for..

now on the other hand I posted this a while back...
      you can read here
      http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=122323

and here
      http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=119042

what I have learned is this machine will work for video.. however not integrating into HS at all.. it does a video capture to a proprietary format... then you use their viewer...

so I am looking into something different...
      I am thinking of going with this setup...
      http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CHANNEL-DVR-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

although the problem I have is the card is only a $30 card.... 30fps (/4 cameras = 7.5fps per camera)
      so the video is going to be choppy... however the software I believe does do still shots... which is what I would want....

they do sell a better video card....
      http://cgi.ebay.com/8-CHANNEL-DVR-CA...QQcmdZViewItem

that card will do 30fps per camera.....

so now my problem is this..
      do I want streaming video capture or do I want still shots?
      still shots seem nice but I want to record the dominos guy flying through the stop sign as he always does so I can press charges.... so stills wont work there...

I have to see what I need more... stills which should be able to be incorporated into HS or video recordings which will not be able to be integrated into HS (At least that is what I think but hopefully someone can fill in the blanks)

let us know what you decide...
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Here are 2 pictures from an X10 camera, Black and White.

This is using one of those cheap 4 port capture cards.. I do capture video too but at the moment its not working as the Webcam plugin DONT WORK!.

TrOjAn
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TrOjAn View Post

This is using one of those cheap 4 port capture cards.. I do capture video too but at the moment its not working as the Webcam plugin DONT WORK!.

TrOjAn
          they are black and white but not pitch black right? there is a light nearby as I see the reflection off of the car.....

the low lux bullet style are like that too.... they are nice at night but require very little light... then the led cameras can use pitch black.....

this was taken with the digiop machine in pitch black....
          Attached Files

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Yes I should have said there is a light not pitch black, I only posted to sh0w the quality you can expect from a cheap x10 camera...

TrOjAn

Comment

I only posted to sh0w the quality you can expect from a cheap x10 camera...

TrOjAn

that does show that they look better than the wireless color ones I have used.....

Comment

I have colour ones too 2 x B&W and 4 x Colour, I use the colour ones for day and the B&W for the night.. cheap and they "do what I need" so good enough.. I would love more expensive cams but its the cost.

TrOjAn

Comment

TrOjAn
                  I used to be a hardware engineer for Thermal Imagers (the real thing, not near IR...i.e. $5K+ range for the cheapest POS we made).

Set your capture card to specifically look for B/W video. It'll clean up a lot of your defects. One thing to know about HOW capture cards capture, they need to look at the burst to determine the colors, however, if you are doing B/W with a crappy camera (X10 cheapies...which is all I use BTW), you need to TELL the card to look only for B/W...otherwise the defects in the video stream will sometimes look like color burst data...hence the strange artifacts on your left image.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Thats handy info Dan thanks.. trouble is I use a mix of colour / b&w.

I really need to look at sorting my cameras out properly... I just cant be assed atm with the webcam plugin issues not being resolved.

Thanks again, TrOjAn

Comment

Working...
                    X