Garage Door Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by langenet View Post
    Ok ok... I like the idea of using two DS10's. How is this conditioned?
    Do you only trigger event with DS10 2 when DS10 1 has changed first?

How's your reliability? I'm not ready for Z-wave just yet...
    It's the X10 Universal modules that have to be wired in series. The DS10A is only a status device that shows whether the door is up or down.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I thought you just needed double confirmation on whether the door was open or closed before telling the universal to issue a mometary closure of the contacts. Are you stating that I need to close the contacts on one universal then close the contacts on the other to make sure the garage doesn't open unintentionally?

I've never had X10 turn on lights by itself. I suppose there's always a first...
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        Gee...I just ordered a universal X-10 module to do just that.
        I was just going to use a ds10 to sense whether open or closed.
        Is this problematic?

Robert
        You should use two of them. Interlock them both so BOTH need to be on for the door to be actuated. Put them on different Addresses and Numbers! That saved me SO many times.

But, now I'm using a custom built UPB device. That took care of all my issues.

--Dan
        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Or simply add a "plugin connector" to the Z-Wave relay and attach the other 2 wires to the opener and plug it in just above your opener.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
            You should use two of them. Interlock them both so BOTH need to be on for the door to be actuated. Put them on different Addresses and Numbers! That saved me SO many times.

But, now I'm using a custom built UPB device. That took care of all my issues.

--Dan

I was gonna answer the same thing...

Basically what I do is the following :

First, I replace the receptacle with a SR-227 (X-10 controlled receptacle) http://www.x10.com/automation/sr227_s.html
            and I plug the X-10 appliance module or universal module in the controlled outlet.

When addressing the module, you need to first turn ON the receptacle with its X-10 code, then you turn the X-10 appliance module or universal module ON or OFF with its own code. Finally, you turn the receptacle back OFF.

The chance of having erratic signals opening the garage door in that configuration are very very slim.

I use that technique for a few critical applications in my house and it has never failed me.

Joel

Comment

Well... the only problem is when the kids come home and enter the code in the keypad to open the door. For that matter, when I pull up in with the car and press the remote button to open the door... How do you handle this?

I understand perfectly about isolating the universal module with an appliance receptical or appliance module.. but if there's no power to the garage door, how can it listen for remote controlling?

Robert

Oops... too fast on my response.... I get it now. The garage door opener is always powered... it's the universal which is controlled. Great idea. I'll order up some of these...

Thanks for the great idea!
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
              X