A washing machine finished alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A washing machine finished alert

I made a seach in the forum for a way to have HS annouce that the washing machine has finished the wash but, its seems that the power flash is the only remedy. Is it possible of only using a DS10a? and if so how would you have it connected, anybody done this before?
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I just hooked mine up the same way a few others have, using an optoisolator, a DS10a and a split core transformer.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=817316

It seems to work just fine when the motor is running, but not when the water is filling..

So a quick script should take care of that but I haven't written it yet. I figure there is a maximum amount of time that the water could be filling the tank (during those times the solenoid is on, but the washer isn't drawing enough current..) So I'd take that max time, and once it's been off (or in this case "Alert") for over that max time then I know it's done.
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I have a plan, but Iam not sure it will work, but lets see if any body can see any faults. I was planning in removing the selector buttom (which is my case is a clear plastic) and underneath it ,I was planning to install a miniutre reed switch (the one that are inclused in a small glass tube). I was planing to drill two very tiny holes to the face dial and run two cables to the ds10a. replace the knob and on the top of the dial glue on a magnet.

I would imagen when the dial rotates close to the reed switch (near the end cycle) this will activate the ds10a and this will annouce that the washer has finished. what do you think?????
      Hector
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I have an X-10 RF Stick-On controller with buttons for Wash On, Wash Off, Dryer On, Dryer Off (Wax On, Wax Off?). When the On buttons are pushed, a delayed device action turns off a virtual device after a period of time. When that happens, it announces that it is time to move the laundry to the dryer (or remove from the dryer), then it does another delayed device action for 10 minutes later. The initial time for the washer is 20-some minutes, and for the dryer I think around 45 minutes, thus the initial announcement comes when the machine is done, and then every 10 minutes until the OFF button is pressed.

Advantage? Very low cost (X-10 stick-a-switch is about $15), and if we put a load in late that we don't care about removing from the dryer right away, we just skip turning it on so it does not bother us with the announcements all night.

If you want the low-tech solution and are having trouble with the event logic, let me know and I'll send you the event info.
        Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
          I have an X-10 RF Stick-On controller with buttons for Wash On, Wash Off, Dryer On, Dryer Off (Wax On, Wax Off?). When the On buttons are pushed, a delayed device action turns off a virtual device after a period of time. When that happens, it announces that it is time to move the laundry to the dryer (or remove from the dryer), then it does another delayed device action for 10 minutes later. The initial time for the washer is 20-some minutes, and for the dryer I think around 45 minutes, thus the initial announcement comes when the machine is done, and then every 10 minutes until the OFF button is pressed.

Advantage? Very low cost (X-10 stick-a-switch is about $15), and if we put a load in late that we don't care about removing from the dryer right away, we just skip turning it on so it does not bother us with the announcements all night.

If you want the low-tech solution and are having trouble with the event logic, let me know and I'll send you the event info.
          Rich

thanks for your help, can you please send me the info for the event. I have a stick a switch laying around and I would like to test your setup.

thank you
          Hector
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=58
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
              I have a plan, but Iam not sure it will work, but lets see if any body can see any faults. I was planning in removing the selector buttom (which is my case is a clear plastic) and underneath it ,I was planning to install a miniutre reed switch (the one that are inclused in a small glass tube). I was planing to drill two very tiny holes to the face dial and run two cables to the ds10a. replace the knob and on the top of the dial glue on a magnet.

I would imagen when the dial rotates close to the reed switch (near the end cycle) this will activate the ds10a and this will annouce that the washer has finished. what do you think?????
              This is good only if you always use the same wash cycle.

My washer has 4 (maybe 5) different wash cycles and each corresponds to a different position of the knob, so you would need to wire several reed switches in parallel to cover every cycle.

Comment

My washer has a beeper inside that is telling me when the laundry is done.
                I have connected a DS 10A to it thru a relay.

Antoon

Comment

Originally posted by fran_joel View Post
                  This is good only if you always use the same wash cycle.

My washer has 4 (maybe 5) different wash cycles and each corresponds to a different position of the knob, so you would need to wire several reed switches in parallel to cover every cycle.
                  My longest fill cycle is around 7-8 minutes... so i just have it announce when the washer has been off for 10 minutes or more..

To me .. it isn't critical that i know exactly when the washer is finished... it's just important that i don't forget that i had stuff in the washer.... 10 minutes is not enough time for the wash to get "Musty"...

Same with the dryer.. i have it announce when the dryer is off for 2 minutes or more.. because i don't want it announcing when someone just opens the door to throw something else in... or check to see if it is dry yet.

Just my 4 cents worth.. (inflation adjusted 2cents)
                  Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
                    Same with the dryer.. i have it announce when the dryer is off for 2 minutes or more.. because i don't want it announcing when someone just opens the door to throw something else in... or check to see if it is dry yet.
                    I've actually got my dryer hooked up with a relay to the buzzer. I plan on installing yet another relay so that I can disable the buzzer if I want to, as there are times I just don't care to be woken up at night when the buzzer goes off.
                    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Ditto...that's all mine does. I have it set to tell me when the LONGEST cycle could end (+ a few minutes). Then I'm not tromping over to the washer just to find out that it's not ready.

Althought, I put a small spin on Tink's setup. No buttons. I use DS10As. When you close the lid, it starts the timer. When you open it, it resets the voice event (set to go off every 10 minutes until the lid is opened). If you want to manually reset, you just do that from the Audrey Touch panel.

We use a night-night script that sets the master "gone to bed" virtual device. So, when that happens, there are no announcements until we get up in the morning.

Same with the dryer...except on that one there are 2 DS10As. My dryer always stops in the SAME location, until the washer. So, for the dryer, the event is reset when you open the door. The event is triggered when the dial gets far enough around that it's within 30 seconds of finishing.

One last thing, I did the same thing with my dishwasher! Except that IT is only "emptied" if the door is open for more then 2 minutes. If it is opened for less then that amount of time, the voice event is turned off, but the Audrey indication lights are left on (so we know someone didn't have time to empty it right then). Also, the 2 minutes delay is also used for when someone went in there to just grab a single cup or something like that. "Where is my favorite spatuchla!?" This way, everyone still knows that you can't put dirty dishes in there. Works out VERY well for us.

I found that making things NEED an extra step (AKA Tink and others method) did NOT go well with my family. They did not want to have to learn how to do something different or with MORE effort, just to do something that they were already doing. So, to get the added convenience of the automation, with just feeding the appropriate information to the server so it can "assume" what you are doing. That's been my biggest challenge, is getting the computer to understand the intention of one's actions. Such as for watching movies, or reading a book. A simple motion sensor is typically not good enough for me, as it knows I WAS there. But, did I leave, or stop to read a book? So, I'm hoping to handle things using some two way communications (UPB). So, you go into the library, the light goes on. If you sit down, you need to MANUALLY turn on the reading light. Which, then the room's light would turn off (normally a 5 minute delay??), and the reading light would go on. At this point, the reading light would go off by itself after say...2 hours of no motion in the room. Something like that. I've not perfected ALL the rooms yet. Most people seem to have given up on this, as rightly so it's easier to just have a manual override or something like that...but then doesn't that defeat the purpose of automating the lights in the first place??

My...well...$1.27...no make is $1.28

--Dan

Originally posted by ArbWare View Post
                      My longest fill cycle is around 7-8 minutes... so i just have it announce when the washer has been off for 10 minutes or more..

To me .. it isn't critical that i know exactly when the washer is finished... it's just important that i don't forget that i had stuff in the washer.... 10 minutes is not enough time for the wash to get "Musty"...

Just my 4 cents worth.. (inflation adjusted 2cents)
                      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                      X