Power lost notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power lost notification

Is there a simple way of knowing if something loses power? I had no room in the house for my chest freezer so i put it in the shed. I unknowingly lost power recently and well, lost all my food as well. I thought about how i could be notified without opening up the shed every day to check.
    my only solution was expensive, and problematic:
    pc on an ups sends msg when power is lost to ups

I then thought that someone here must have devised an easier solution.

any takers?

Do you have X10 connectivity to the "shed"? If so you could use one of the CRMagnets and a powerflash unit to detect the loss of power. If you have a one wire setup your can put a temp sensor in the freezer.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

There's also this device that could be connected to a close contact sensor such as a powerflash module.

http://www.smarthome.com/7154.html
      Last edited by Rupp; May 10, 2008, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Rupp do you ever sleep? also the crm and power flash sound sensable. the link in your second response was never posted btw.

also thank you for the dang near immediate response

hrm. just searched for CRMagnets and im turning up almost nill. well at least on where to get them

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          There's also this device that could be connected to a close contact sensor such as a powerflash module.
          You can also connect a ds10a to a 120v relay. But of course you must have the w800. to detec it.
          Hector
          MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
          AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

See this thread on how this works.
            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...t=cr+magnetics

The company name is CRMagnetics

Comment

for the freezer type situation I would really recommend actually sensing the temp of the freezer. This way if the freezer fails, but the AC is still on, you don't lose your food.

If you go the cheap route, and just buy an indoor outdoor thermometer with a remote sensor, you won't need to go in every day, but you will need to look at it.

I did that for a while with my kegerator, now I have a 1-wire sensor in there to get the readings all the time, I email myself if it's above 40degrees as I don't want the beer to get warm. Same with my hot tub if it drops below 50.

sensing power using a CRMagnetics split core transformer isn't as good of an idea since the compressor isn't on all the time, an it'll only sense when it's actually running.
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Working...
              X