Thermostat, which one?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat, which one?????

Last week, I finished installing a central air in my home. Now I need some advice in what to buy to control the AC. My setup does not have heating only AC. What type and what brand of thermostat I should purchase so it can be controlled by HS? Iam currently using zwave devices in my home.
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I used to have HAI thermostats: RC80s I beleive-- but it required running wire to the thermos for RS-232- but they worked well. Zwave should be reliable, I can't speak for them though. If I were doing it again, I would consider them.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

HAI RS232 is the only way to go.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I would definitely suggest a haredwire connection, rs2332 or rs485, over zwave, x10 or insteon.

I personally use the Aprilaire 8870 and it has worked flawlessly for 18 months.
        HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

I use RCS zwave thermostat and the HS plugin and it works very well and reliably. Amazingly the zwave stat is cheaper than the X10 RCS stat from smarthome

D.
          Last edited by dmurphy; May 15, 2008, 07:14 AM.
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows 10 vmware)
          BLOccupied:,UltraNetCam3:,weatherXML:,RFXCOM:,Current Cost 3P:,UltraGCIR3:
          DMMQTT:,Kodi:,Z-Wave:,BLRadar:,EasyTrigger:,MySensors:,BLBackup:

Comment

I've been happy with my two RCS Zwave TZ16 thermostats as well. Also, it's my understanding that the TZ16 is identical to the TR16, but it has an external ZWave interface that attaches to the RS485 port. I believe that if I wanted to switch from the ZWave connection to a serial connection I could simply disconnect the ZWave module and connect a computer to the RS485 port. I haven't actually tried to do this to verify, however.

Brett

Comment

so if someone wanted to start using zwave all you need is
              http://www.smarthome.com/1192.html

$40 usb adapter...... hmmmm my summer plans (which may not get done) are to automate the heat/ac and do the rfxcom electric monitoring with a 200A upgrade on panel...
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Yeah, the adapter is $40, but the wall switches are just outside of my price range. Coupled with the fact that the more devices, the better the network, z-wave is still a little expensive at this point.
                HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Can anyone tell me out of all the option above, it is cheapsest?
                  Hector
                  MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                    Yeah, the adapter is $40, but the wall switches are just outside of my price range. Coupled with the fact that the more devices, the better the network, z-wave is still a little expensive at this point.
                    hm i recommend scouring ebay if youre fine with intermatic and vizia there are lots of good zwave deals only catch is the listings may not be as zwave so you have to think creatively to find an item.
                    I bought 10 zwave 300w dimmers for $12 each including shipping new in the box. got them all hooked up and the house is running great

Comment

Working...
                    X