Need Some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Some advice

I have a homeseer X-10 based system that I have had for about 8 years. I have around 100 X-10 devices right now. I have RCS TXB-16 thermostats that basically have NEVER worked right. I have gotten them close, but never EVER reliable. I am looking to upgrade at least my thermostats to Z-Wave. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My goal right now is to have a RELIABLE thermostat solution that I can control using a pc based automation system, that I am not constantly tweaking/fighting with. My Homeseer system, and all my other X-10 devices work great. The thermostats have been an albatross. I am willing to invest what it takes to get this resolved.

Gee... are you using the plugin for the TXB-16 thermostat? I've had mine for over 3 years and have never - ever had one hickup.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by fdarden View Post
      ...I have RCS TXB-16 thermostats that basically have NEVER worked right. I have gotten them close, but never EVER reliable. I am looking to upgrade at least my thermostats to Z-Wave. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My goal right now is to have a RELIABLE thermostat solution that I can control using a pc based automation system, that I am not constantly tweaking/fighting with. . . .I am willing to invest what it takes to get this resolved.
      Does it need to be a wireless solution? Hardwired thermostats are almost certain to be more reliable than X10, and unless you have enough devices to form a reasonable mesh network, Z-wave may be problematic.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Plugins and Wireless

Yes, I am using the plugin. It works sometimes. sometimes it works seemingly all the time, and then I get all these error communicating with thermostat, the things lock up, and I am tired of fighting these POS. I bought 5 of them trying to get them to work reliably. Even built an isolated AC network for them thinking my house was the problem. Anyway, thats not the topic. Im not interested in making the TXB16's work. In fact if someone wants a good deal, I have 5 of them, and three have never been used. As far as what will work, I want to be able to run two thermostats reliably. Whatever it takes. I hav a hard time beleiving that there is not a PLB (ie: wireless) solution that will work rock solid with homeseer. I could hardwire, but that is a major pain that I would like to try to avoid. I thought maybe now was the time to dive into zwave, and I thought I would start with the thermostats. . am I wrong?

Comment

It might work. Try searching the forum for "mesh".
          Here's an interesting thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...highlight=mesh
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

If you want the ultimate in reliable, go with a hardwired solution. I have had good luck with the RCS serial thermostats. The HomeSeer plug-in is very good except for a bug reporting the "hold/run" status of the thermostat. Controlling the "hold/run" status works fine.

Z-wave seems quite reliable. There is an unresolved problem with polling of Z-Wave devices, but this doesn't affect the actual commanding of the devices.

Comment

Working...
            X