I'm baaaack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm baaaack

Got a new job and sold the old house (Leaving all the automation in place)

Had to re-hab the new house and put in new electric, plumbing etc....
    1 year later .....

I did have the forsight to purchase an upgrade from 1.7 to 2.X before moving. I did get my Ocelot and X10 switchs and modules working with the software installed on a 2003 server box this week, now I'm just trying to catch up on whats changed. A couple of "simple questions" (I expect Rupp to be as responsive as he always has been)

Whats the difference between HSPro and HS2 (it looks like they both have a lot of the same features) ?

Which way do I go with new control modules and such (Zwave vs Insteon vs good old X10) ?

Just by way of introduction I work for a company by the name of Rockwell Automation which specializes in factory automation. I am an instructor traveling the nation teaching ladder code, structured text, function block and sequential function charts (Programming the Rockwell family of Processors, PLC's) . If you don't know what this stuff is send me an message and I tell you what I know. I also spend some time teaching and programming Rockwells HMI (Human Machine Interface) products as well.

Anyway its good to be back and working on my home automation !

in bold....

Originally posted by ben_bambenek View Post
    Got a new job and sold the old house (Leaving all the automation in place)

Had to re-hab the new house and put in new electric, plumbing etc....
    1 year later .....

I did have the forsight to purchase an upgrade from 1.7 to 2.X before moving. I did get my Ocelot and X10 switchs and modules working with the software installed on a 2003 server box this week, now I'm just trying to catch up on whats changed. A couple of "simple questions" (I expect Rupp to be as responsive as he always has been)

Rupp... who is he.... Just kidding.. he is very helpful since I have been here...

Whats the difference between HSPro and HS2 (it looks like they both have a lot of the same features) ?

I believe the difference is Pro includes all plugins opposed to paying for each individual plugins... not sure which are included but it is alot of them...

Which way do I go with new control modules and such (Zwave vs Insteon vs good old X10) ?

well if you read up insteon is having issues and some people have 0 problems and some have nothing but......

I personally am all x10.. and have it running great....

Just by way of introduction I work for a company by the name of Rockwell Automation which specializes in factory automation. I am an instructor traveling the nation teaching ladder code, structured text, function block and sequential function charts (Programming the Rockwell family of Processors, PLC's) . If you don't know what this stuff is send me an message and I tell you what I know. I also spend some time teaching and programming Rockwells HMI (Human Machine Interface) products as well.

Anyway its good to be back and working on my home automation !
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

[QUOTE=ben_bambenek;821310]Just by way of introduction I work for a company by the name of Rockwell Automation which specializes in factory automation. I am an instructor traveling the nation teaching ladder code, structured text, function block and sequential function charts (Programming the Rockwell family of Processors, PLC's) . If you don't know what this stuff is send me an message and I tell you what I know. I also spend some time teaching and programming Rockwells HMI (Human Machine Interface) products as well.
      QUOTE]

Can you get us any deals? I'd have to re-mortgage the house to afford a 5/80 processor not to mention a chassis and I/O.

Actually, if I could get my hands on a Panelview... I work with A/B (Rockwell) stuff every day. I've often thought the PV+ would be a fantastic tool for HA.

Oh yes, welcome back!
      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

PLC 5/80's

Yep the PLC 5's are very much price prohibitive, you can get a Micrologix 1000 with 10 I/O points and software for $250.

The Panelviews are another story, my cost (as a employee) are still way to expensive. I have hooked one into my X10 controller (Ocelot) via the OPC interface and controlled the X10 house modules. Even wrote some ladder code to interface into the X10 stuff with a Micrologix.

Lots of fun stuff

Thanks for help on the HSPRO and HS2 stuff

Comment

you can get a Micrologix 1000 with 10 I/O points and software for $250.
          There's an alternative to Logix500? We pay $2K/year/package.

Comment

RSLogix 500

Its a special "free" version of RSLogix 500 just for the Micrologix, it has some limitations (like no online editing)

You can download it from the RA Support Site with a no cost account, just create an account on the website (support.rockwellautomation.com) and goto the download page

RSLogix 500 Starter for 10 Point MicroLogix 1000 Programming Software 9324RL0050ENE 6.10.00 Web Release

Hope this helps

Comment

The comparison matrix is a sticky in a number of forums. this should help: http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...77&postcount=1
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I already have the account set up at work. I'll be a hero for "finding" this. Our rep has never mentioned it. Thanks.

Comment

Yep the PLC 5's are very much price prohibitive, you can get a Micrologix 1000 with 10 I/O points and software for $250.

The Panelviews are another story, my cost (as a employee) are still way to expensive. I have hooked one into my X10 controller (Ocelot) via the OPC interface and controlled the X10 house modules. Even wrote some ladder code to interface into the X10 stuff with a Micrologix.

Lots of fun stuff

Thanks for help on the HSPRO and HS2 stuff
                  For simple PLCs I've found that these just can't be beat: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.22/.f.

A 6in/4out/2analog in is only $59 and while you'll need to buy a programming cable for $19, the programming software is free. These can be programmed in either ladder or their custom graphical editor, which is similar to a creating a schematic. I've used them on several projects and they just work. A friend is using one to control his HVAC and whole house fan.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                  X