Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punch Block for Stranded Wire?

Hello to all....

I have a thing about nice, neat, clean, pretty wiring. So, I am a big fan of punch blocks. The problem is I have a bunch of 18ga stranded wire to terminate.

Anyone ever heard of a punch block that will accept 18 gauge stranded wire? Or, do I gotta use those Euro Terminal Strips?

Being Ex phone company and Knowing they were not really made for stranded wire, I went ahead and gave it a try anyway. I can't say I've noticed any troubles with it. I haven't had anything come loose. I have piles of 66 type blocks that i'm using with no ill effects, Cat5 or 6 punchdowns would probably not work at all.

I do suspect that if you have it mounted in a spot that is subject to big variances in temperature, like a garage or attic, some may work loose in time.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

For something as big as 18ga I would opt for the euro blocks. I use the euro blocks for my balanced audio feeds (which go all over the house) if put on a backboard they look as good as 66 or 110 blocks

And actually, thinking back many moons ago when 10baseT was the rage and cat3 wire was standard, we used to punch it down with no ill effects, but it was a much smaller gauge than 18
      Last edited by jackpod; June 3, 2008, 06:06 PM.
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?
      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
        For something as big as 18ga I would opt for the euro blocks.
        And that will work, just not as neat and tidy as I would like. Also, doesn't work well for power busses.

I have been searching for punch blocks for lower gauge wire, but so far, no luck.

Comment

Probably no use to you in the US but we use Krone punch blocks that have a 'earth' module that 'can' be used unofficially for power busses. Available in both black and red, they do accept 18 gauge wire.

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/re...tails/4710.pdf

46-019 and 46-020
          Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon!

Looks like they only take up to 22GA wire though. Where did you see a spec for 18GA?

If so, they would be perfect!

Comment

Michael,

I'm only speaking from experience as we use these at work. Because the cable is stranded, it naturally forms from a circle to an oval when punched in the slot. I would not recommend this with a solid 18GA wire!
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                Michael,

I'm only speaking from experience as we use these at work. Because the cable is stranded, it naturally forms from a circle to an oval when punched in the slot. I would not recommend this with a solid 18GA wire!
                Solder

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  I'm only speaking from experience as we use these at work.
                  Hmmm, ok, I might try one and see how it goes. I've also picked up some 66 blocks that are supposed to work with 18ga solid (stripped), so I am going to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
                    Solder
                    Yeah - that's an option. But a PITA to move things around later... though there won't likely be a lot of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X