X10 motion sensor question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 motion sensor question...

what will happen if I setup a motion sensor (x10) to a determine house code and unit#, (lets say A1 to turn on a lamp). Then I setup another Motion sensor to A2 to turn on a appliance. Will the A2 (the off) signal from the first sensor affect anything to the second sensor?

I do know that the MS have a 1+ digit to turn things off. Is that second house code lost for use? (other then turning thing off?)
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Yes you loose a unit code for each motion sensor but you can use the light sensors for other activities.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

im lost... I have MS14A's

1 as G9 and 1 as B2

I get G9 on and off and B2 on and off.. nothing else... what is this +1?
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

The +1 unit code is a light sensor used supposedly to control a light at dawn/dusk. With the MS16 you have the option to disable this.
        With the MS12,14 you can do one of two things. Open the sensor and cover the CDS photocell (small beady thingy that has a sqiggly line inside for lack of a better description) OR, as I did. Cut its leads and take it out altogether. The latter option will have the effect of extending your battery life somewhat as well. Be sure you plan never to use the light sensor (+1) before you do this as it'll be difficult to restore the function.
        Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          what will happen if I setup a motion sensor (x10) to a determine house code and unit#, (lets say A1 to turn on a lamp). Then I setup another Motion sensor to A2 to turn on a appliance. Will the A2 (the off) signal from the first sensor affect anything to the second sensor?

I do know that the MS have a 1+ digit to turn things off. Is that second house code lost for use? (other then turning thing off?)
          I know you used A1 and A2 as examples, but, I would recomend that you do not use those codes in real life for anything.

The reason. If you have a motion sensor that does not have an eprom, and there are lots about, when the battery goes flat it reverts to A1 for motion and A2 for light. In it's death throws it will transmit on those codes. Can be utilised for detecting flat batteries.

Also remember that if you have a motion detector set to A1 then A2 is automatically it's lights sensor. Even if you do not have the light sensor activated I would be wary of using that code for anouther motion sensor.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Other activities

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Yes you loose a unit code for each motion sensor but you can use the light sensors for other activities.

Rupp, when you say "use the ligth sensors for other activities" are you meaning "dusk, dawn" feature??
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
              I know you used A1 and A2 as examples, but, I would recomend that you do not use those codes in real life for anything.

The reason. If you have a motion sensor that does not have an eprom, and there are lots about, when the battery goes flat it reverts to A1 for motion and A2 for light. In it's death throws it will transmit on those codes. Can be utilised for detecting flat batteries.

Also remember that if you have a motion detector set to A1 then A2 is automatically it's lights sensor. Even if you do not have the light sensor activated I would be wary of using that code for anouther motion sensor.
              Gogs, using A1 and A2 to detect dead batteries is a brilliant idea! Although it is probably not very reliable, it is certainly simple to do. For all my motion detectors I count the number of times motion is detected and at the end of each day I write the total to a log file. Do you think there is good correlation between the number of motions detected and battery life? I was thinking that I (Homeseer) could periodically check the motion log file and when the motion count gets to XXXXX issue a "replace batteries in X motion sensor" message.
              What do you think?

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Rupp, when you say "use the ligth sensors for other activities" are you meaning "dusk, dawn" feature??
                Yes, dawn/ dusk is the same as light sensor.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                  Gogs, using A1 and A2 to detect dead batteries is a brilliant idea! Although it is probably not very reliable, it is certainly simple to do. For all my motion detectors I count the number of times motion is detected and at the end of each day I write the total to a log file. Do you think there is good correlation between the number of motions detected and battery life? I was thinking that I (Homeseer) could periodically check the motion log file and when the motion count gets to XXXXX issue a "replace batteries in X motion sensor" message.
                  What do you think?

Steve Q
                  I believe that there a plugin called Doomotion that actually logs MS activietes.But aim not sure if it will detect low batterys.
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I believe that there a plugin called Doomotion that actually logs MS activietes.But aim not sure if it will detect low batterys.
                    Yes, it does offer this ability.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Just to clarify, the DooMotion plug-in does not 'detect' low batteries - it merely reports if an ON/OFF has not been detected in x hours - which is either a low battery or the MD is outside the range of the receiver.
                      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Optimum Performance??

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Ok now that I know that I loose a unit code, let me ask another question. Is there some method (other than trial and error) to aim, or adjust MS to is optimum performance?
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Ok now that I know that I loose a unit code, let me ask another question. Is there some method (other than trial and error) to aim, or adjust MS to is optimum performance?
                          Trial and error is about the only way to achieve optimal performance - especially if you have pets. I've had to rearrange the placement of sensors to accomodate my wife's cats
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                            Trial and error is about the only way to achieve optimal performance - especially if you have pets. I've had to rearrange the placement of sensors to accomodate my wife's cats
                            How are you placing the sensor lets say in a living room are you up high in an angle? or you just have them back to back on the wall? (I have no pets)
                            Hector
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

(I have no pets)

HOW DID YOU PULL THAT OFF?!?!?!?!?!?!

our cat is now 16
                              dog is 12
                              other cat is 6

wife said we will ALWAYS have cats and dogs
                              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                              X