What computer to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What computer to get

I am asking for help in deciding which computer ( or at least what specs) I should get for my system.

Right now I am using one of the original Dell XPS machines with 3 Gig memoryand am having poor results.

I know I am running too many things on one machine, but I have the following

1) Homeseer
    2) MainLobby server
    3) Active WebCam ( with 6 cameras)
    4) VNC
    5) Outlook
    6) Hamachi

The computer is always slow, usually crashing etc.. So if I get a new machine what would most of you recommend?

Thanks
    jjsmd@yahoo.com

You can't go wrong with eCollegePC.com
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You do not need a powerfull machine for HomeSeer, a P4 is quite sufficiant.

I note on you list that you are running MS Outlook. I therefore presume you are also running MS Office, or is it Outlook Express?

If you are running Office it takes a lot of memory, there are ways to intergrate Office into HS wher Officeis rinning on a different computer.

As for Hamachi, sorry never heard of it and can not comment.

I know not a lot of help, but, te best HS computeris the one that only run HS.

I know that is very rich comming from I, Dedicated HS computer, it runs HS, the server, Weather Display, Outlook Express, WebMail, and all the rest that you can not get rid of in XP, but, and that is a very big BUT, HS Works like a dream.

If you are seriously into HA and HS have a look at HT (HomeTroller), depending upon where ou stay the price may justbe a negative.
      sigpic
      A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post

That's what i use and it is solid. I didn't make any changes to their basic "Value" system.

You will just need to buy the OS if you don't already have one to install

Neil
        Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Nice link, but, they do not appear to ship anywhere outside the US of A.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I don't use ActiveWebCam, but do use WebCamXP and used to run it on the same machine running HomeSeer (1.7) / MainLobbyServer (1.3.5).

I would get lockups every now and then. When I separated these two functions on different machines I was able to obtain a very stable setup (HomeSeer/MainLobby (older versions) on one machine, WebCamXP on another). I hit 155 days uptime till I rebooted that machine for Windows Updates (XP SP3).
            --------------------------------------------------
            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Well I recommed you think about a HomeTroller, if you take HS off your existing machine it would run better and you would have a dedicated system for HS.

I got a HomeTroller the day they came out, I have never regretted it and if you look at my signature, it is earning its keep because I hit it pretty hard. my install is large and busy

Jack
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?
              I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Wow, dual-core 2.0 Ghz, 2 GB, 250 GB SATA drive for $269. That's pretty good. Even adding XP Pro is only $149 extra.

Is the quality solid? For that price, you could get two and have one for a backup HomeSeer system!

I may look at using them for low-cost desktop workstations.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comment

My HS has never been more solid. I think i hav rebooted the PC 3 times in the last 4 months (mainly becaue i had hanged somthing).

I would definately recommend it.
                  Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

I use an old notebook for HS and Davis Weatherlink only. It runs very well. The main benefits are that it takes little space; if the power cuts out it keeps going (provided the power cut is not too long); and it doesn't use much electricity. I keep the lid closed most of the time so the monitor is off - even less power consumption. Oh, and it didn't cost me anything

I use another computer to make changes to HS, using the web pages. (This is faster than using the main HS server (no delays at all), probably because the HS notebook is old and the graphics are slow.) I'm about to upgrade to a slightly less old notebook, so that might be a bit faster to use for making changes directly. I'll be doing a clean minimal install of XP pro first.

Comment

Why are you running Hamachi - had a customer install this on a network and it brought it to it's knees and opened the box up to all kinds of other issues - how big is the processor on you Dell? When was the last time the machine was redone. The processor on the Hometroller is1.5 GHz Intel Celeron M which is small by today standards. Also what Gogs stated about Outlook - Office definitely uses some memory.

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                        Why are you running Hamachi - had a customer install this on a network and it brought it to it's knees and opened the box up to all kinds of other issues - how big is the processor on you Dell? When was the last time the machine was redone. The processor on the Hometroller is1.5 GHz Intel Celeron M which is small by today standards. Also what Gogs stated about Outlook - Office definitely uses some memory.

The secret to the HomeTroller is XP Embedded, Lean, Clean, no annoying updates. HSProtect doesn't let anything get written to the drive unless you WANT it to be, so no virus protection bloatware is needed. Other benefits? small footprint, 4 included serial ports, 6 included USB ports, low power consumption, in my opinion it is the cat's meow

XPE is designed to run 24x7, XP Pro is a desktop OS, there is so much going on in the background.

The HT wasn't designed to run a bunch of other applications, dedicated to HS it is rock solid reliable

Jack
                        Over The Hill
                        What Hill?
                        Where?
                        When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

P4 works great

I started HS on a 386 laptop with 256M. 1.3-1.7 worked fine. Went to a Duron 800 with 512M when I added HSP. Went to an Athlon 1800 with a 1GB when I added TTS and went to HS2. Currently running a 3.0 P4 with 2GB running HS2, HSP, TTS and a bunch of plug-ins. All have worked fine. Only upgraded when hardware issues arose. Probably could still be running everything fine on the Athlon machine. All these machines run XP Pro and have IIS running as well.

This P4 with XP cost me $188 after a $200 MicroCenter discount for buying Vonage at their store. COMPLETELY worth it on both accounts.

You don't need to spend a lot on a HS machine. Buy a rock solid older technology machine and you'll be set. The P4 is a hand-me-down to HS as it used to be my regular desktop machine.

Rob

Comment

Well, another selling point for the HomeTroller (and no I don't work for HST, nor do I get compensated) is the common hardware platform.

How many of you have had a problem, so you put in helpdesk ticket (and this used to make me crazy) the first reply was "disable all your plugins and see if the problem persists". HST had no other way to troubleshoot, but what good is HS with no plugins....

With the Hometroller aka a common hardware platform, you can zip up your config and send it to them and they can more than likely duplicate your setup, sure they might not have all the same third party devices, but what a way to whittle down the problem. I have in the past had to do this and they found the issue.

So altho I ran HS on several different systems before the HT, and had resonable reliability, Once I got my HT... well life has been good.

I guess it boils down to wether you truly depend on your automation or not. Ask my wife, altho she complained at the cost, she will tell you I am an (put your favorite word here) when HS isn't running right and since the HT I haven't been an (put your favorite word here) and its been over a year now
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                              I use hamachi on 9 computers (work, home, vacation home, moms computer, etc) and it has been solid on WinXP and vista. I use it for remote control, sharing files over the internet, and to chat with family. It has been solid for over 1 year.
                              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Working...
                              X