Looking for "Green" ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
    Gogs, could you translate this into "American" for us? What is GLS and LP?

Surely you are not challenging the fact that CFLs use less energy than conventional bulbs? And that LEDs use less than CFLs?

Steve Q

phew.. im not the only one that was curious on that...

I switched to CF where I could.. and have more that I am going to do..
    I have physically seen a HUGE decrease in my electric bill..
    as somewhere in these posts by me...

from 2 lights on at night out front.... 60wx2=120whrx10hrs=1200x30days=36000watts or 36kw in just that bulb down to
    13x2=26whrx10hrs=260x30days=7800watts or 7.8kw....

i dont want to touch the mercury arguement side as I will not get too many people to back me up...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I have also seen a significant decrease in my electric bill from:
      1. Turning off my landscape lights (8 x 25 watts [low voltage]) Monday thru Thursday.
      2. Putting X10 modules on 2 power strips (Home theater in Family room plus TV in Dining Room/Kitchen are). Homeseer turns the power strips ON from 5PM to 1AM
      3. Unplugging all wall warts not in use and only plugging them in when needed.
      4. Unplugging my electronic wireless door bell. It used 35W and only rings once or twice a month. I will replace it with 1-wire or a DS10a.
      5. Better controlling my workshop flourescent lights (22 x 40Watt bulbs). Now they only come on when I manually turn them ON and they shut off if there is no motion (2 sensors in the shop) for 30 minutes.
      6. Unscrewing (loosening) 4 of the 5 60W bulbs in the downstairs powder room so the motion sensor only turns ON one bulb. When we have guests we tighten the bulbs so there is plenty of light.
      7. Setting back the thermostats.
      8. Putting CFLs in my office.
      9. Making sure that Homeseer is the only computer running 24/7.
      These simple things have made a big difference in my bill.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

LOL, confused am I...

Comment

Better controlling my workshop flourescent lights (22 x 40Watt bulbs). Now they only come on when I manually turn them ON and they shut off if there is no motion (2 sensors in the shop) for 30 minutes.
          same here.. but 1 motion... open door (ds10a and light on... no motion = off)
          Unscrewing (loosening) 4 of the 5 60W bulbs in the downstairs powder room so the motion sensor only turns ON one bulb. When we have guests we tighten the bulbs so there is plenty of light.
          same here too....
          Setting back the thermostats.
          YEAH RIGHT!!! WISH I COULD!!!!! wife likes it minimum of 70 in the house....
          Making sure that Homeseer is the only computer running 24/7.
          ummm cant do that.. but should i guess....
          1. hs machine
          2. cctv machine
          3. garage (tv tuner)
          4. HTPC
          5. kitchen pc
          6. gaming rig
          at least there are 3 desktops and 3 laptops not plugged in right now!!!!

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              ummm cant do that.. but should i guess....
              1. hs machine
              2. cctv machine
              3. garage (tv tuner)
              4. HTPC
              5. kitchen pc
              6. gaming rig
              at least there are 3 desktops and 3 laptops not plugged in right now!!!!
              I put a current monitor on the circuit that has 2 other computers. I was very lax about turning them OFF. Now my Homeseer computer speaks a reminder at 11PM to "Turn OFF the Dell and HP computer" and keeps speaking every 15 minutes until I turn them OFF.

It's amazing how effective this can be!!

Steve Q
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

....I was very lax about turning them OFF. Now my Homeseer computer speaks a reminder at 11PM to "Turn OFF the Dell and HP computer" and keeps speaking every 15 minutes until I turn them OFF.

Steve Q

not effective... it depreciates the WAF factor substancially!!!!!!

Comment

TeleFragger - are you saying the missus doesnt like all the voice announcements??

Mine cant stand them!
                  HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                  54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                  Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I've also cut down a bit on the announcements for the same reason. Some she appreciated but when she tells me the bi**h can be a real nag I assume I've gone to far.
                    Marty
                    ------
                    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                      I've also cut down a bit on the announcements for the same reason. Some she appreciated but when she tells me the bi**h can be a real nag I assume I've gone to far.
                      lol
                      my wife woke me up this morning and told me to go and "shut her up or else"!

There is a very fine line between usefull and annoying. I guess i haven't figured out where that line is yet
                      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                        TeleFragger - are you saying the missus doesnt like all the voice announcements??

Mine cant stand them!
                        Exactly! Thats why the announcements are so effective. I have to make sure Homeseer doesn't speak anything!! Otherwise I have to listen to both of them!!

Steve Q

Comment

My wife loves the HS announcements. I don't overdo it though! I don't have any that repeat every 15 minutes. And I don't have a lot of them or any trivial ones that are more annoying than helpful. The most persistent one is the reminder to take the trash can to the street the night before pickup and it repeats every hour, starting at 6:00 PM, until the garage door is opened or we go to bed. She likes that one because it ensures I don't forget to take the trash down. Most of the others are once a day reminders or triggered announcements like when someone is calling on the phone, or someone comes up the driveway or is at the front door. There is also one that speaks the outside temperature when we wake up in the morning. She loves that one because it tells her how to dress. In fact, on the rare occasion when HS stops speaking, she bugs me until I get it fixed! I do have a "mute" button on the keypad in the bedroom that mutes all HS speaking so she can turn it off if she's taking a nap or just doesn't want to hear it for some reason. Of course, it doesn't speak anything after we turn the "Awake" button off.

my wife woke me up this morning and told me to go and "shut her up or else"!
                          Maybe you could use a virtual device to tell HS that you are asleep and then mute TTS whenever that device is on. My wife wouldn't like it (and neither would I) if HS ever spoke anything at night while we're asleep.
                          Last edited by DC; April 16, 2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I put a current monitor on the circuit that has 2 other computers. I was very lax about turning them OFF. Now my Homeseer computer speaks a reminder at 11PM to "Turn OFF the Dell and HP computer" and keeps speaking every 15 minutes until I turn them OFF.

Steve Q
                            I agree with Telefragger...

What I've done is setup a remote control shutdown software. Then, when we are going to bed, if the machine is still on and there is no occupancy in the room with the PC, the server directs the software to hibernate the PC. This has great WAF as she wants to have the machine off (the TV told her what I was saying about saving hundreds by not leaving stuff on...and the TV actually got her to listen), but forgets, and I don't want to babysit.

So...this way, we go to bed, if the machine is on, HS sets off a hibernate and no one looses any data and we get to save on the power used.

My philosophy on HA is that it should compliment our lives, not annoy us until we perform a certain behavior. The house should be able to aid us in doing things to help. Otherwise it's just one more thing I have to deal with in the house.

If we make it smart enough to take care of the shades in the house, or keeping the heat on / off based on outside and window / door conditions, watching the sump pump / crock water levels, etc. It can be a great addition! Especially controlling the lighting, etc. The only issue I still have, which other seem to have solved, is I need to get HS to better understand manual control over the lights...so again, we can override the automation and allow it to AID in helping us...not hindering us (say trying to paint in a room or something like that and having the lights go off on you while on a ladder...that is bad...

--Dan
                            Last edited by drozwood90; April 17, 2009, 08:10 AM. Reason: more info
                            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I use virtuals for that type of control. Almost everything I control checks a virtual device before doing it. That way if I'm doing something out of the norm around the house i can make sure that the unexpected doesn't happen.
                              Marty
                              ------
                              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                              Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Hmm...I was toying with that idea...

So (correct me if I'm wrong), I would make a link that HS can control, and a link that the switch controls. If the switch is set to anything (i.e. a human sets the light on or off) I have HS ALSO flip the virtual device. Then when any automation scripts / events run, have them check that virtual device.

Then, when the light it turned off, flip the Virtual device back so automation can take over??

--Dan
                                Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X