guide to wiring audio over cat5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guide to wiring audio over cat5

has anyone seen a guide to wiring audio over cat5 out there?

thanks,

David

See the last two, NetCam and Audio/Video...

http://www.gettank.com/electronics/p...5%20Wiring.gif

Been doing it this way for years, there is really no need to waist $ on these kinds of things...

http://www.smarthome.com/7805S.html

http://www.smarthome.com/7805.html

Comment

cool, I see the diagram. that is neat, b

ut being a little new to electronic tinkering I still have questions on how to wire the ends up to say a coax jack or a mini rca jack. I would like to see where to connect the wires to these jacks, since I know what wires to use how do I wire them to a mini rca and coax tv jack.

Thanks

Comment

David -

Pending your distance, I just hard wired in RCA ends to a 100 foot run of Cat5. No noise, no problems, works fine. Truth be known. I actually only used 4 wires, the other 4 are carrying 12v DC,ground,ComA and ComB. A truly multitasking run. Might just want to give it a try before dropping the cash.

Comment

so to not have to run too much cable I can run 4 wires for the network and the other 4 for audio and video?

Comment

Whoa - hold up. Before we really get confused.
            Network for computers will take up a single cat5.

I use an Ocelot, with a SECU-16IR and a SECU16I. The Ocelot required 4 wires of a Cat5. The wire runs from one end of the house to the others where the IR box resides, interrupted in the middle by the SECU16I. I then needed to get the audio over to the amps on the other side of the house. I was about make the long run of RCA, but cost was high, sought out cat5 AD-DA converters, but just on a whim tried splicing an RCA over the same cat. IT WORKED !! So no extra wire run was needed.

Not sure what your video needs/requirements are, but Iā€™d hazard to say that you might just try before running a ton of wire.

Comment

my buddy was able to get 2 100mbit network runs from 1 cat5 cable so I know that a computer can connect on half the wires in a cat5 connection. Therefore it would leave the other half open for another network port and or Audio and Video, am i not correct?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Proud:
                my buddy was able to get 2 100mbit network runs from 1 cat5 cable so I know that a computer can connect on half the wires in a cat5 connection. Therefore it would leave the other half open for another network port and or Audio and Video, am i not correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct in theory. The only thing to watch out for is cross talk between the video carrier signal and the data.

Comment

2 network drops over 1 cat5 - yeah buddy!
                  If your buddy can prove it. DO IT!!

I'd love to hear/see/know how that was done, that sounds really cool!

I'm positive that audio can be sustained, not sure on video, but I'm half tempted to try it on one of those little X10 Web cam jobbies !!

Comment

...so you can splice two connectors on each end of the cable.

Whether it works or not, depends on crosstalk, as noted above.

Comment

Only 4 wires needed for 100 base network connections.

http://www.rainbolt.net/wiring.html

-Rupp
                      šŸ’ā€ā™‚ļø Support & Customer Service šŸ™‹ā€ā™‚ļø Sales Questions šŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Productsā€‹

Comment

I never paid much attention to the pinouts and always assumed that the two tightly twisted pairs would be the transmit and receive. Turns out that the orange pair is loosly twisted and that is the transmit side while the green pair is tightly twisted as the receive side. May this have to do with the carrier-sense collision retry algorithm? There should be some engineering rationale.

Comment

Standard Ethernet 10/100 Cat5/e uses 2 pair - one pair on pins 1,2, the other pair on pins 3,6 of an RJ-45 8-pin connector. That leaves wire pairs 4,5 and 7,8 for other use. 1000baseT (copper gigabit) typically uses all 4 pair to reach up to about 800Mbps. On a properly-terminated RJ45 using the T568B wiring standard, 10/100 coloring would be the white-orange/orange and white-green/green twisted pairs.

Note that each pair in the Cat5 bundle is twisted at a slightly different twist/foot ratio to reduce signal crosstalk across the various pairs. This does result in a slightly less-than-ideal match for the center frequency the wire best supports.

HOWEVER, using the unused pairs for other signal types may interfere with networking signaling or vice versa, especially if the signals are more powerful than the wire can handle and/or are at a frequency that is a harmonic of the other signal being carried. I would not recommand using them for video or speaker-level audio on a run that supports networking or any sensitive signal. You can get away with another network signal (I've done it), but it can create crosstalk and signal degradation on even short runs.

Also, most electrical signals won't benefit from twisted pair unless they are using differential signaling (balanced signals) at both ends to support common-mode rejection. This is one reason the use of a balun (or impedance matching transformer) is recommended. The other is the signal strength put on the wire.

And remember that Cat5 is not a shielded cable, meaning it could pick up or radiate signals from/into the air or surrounding wiring. Adding shielding results in capacitance issues and usually reduces the usable length of the cable, but it is available.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."
                          |
                          | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                          HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

PS. If you want, you can buy Y cables that allow you to use both sets of pairs in a Cat5 cable for networking. Or you can make them.

See this page at the Cyberguys.com web site.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."
                            |
                            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
                            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

well that solves it then.

I will run seperate cat5 cables for audio and network. Is it safe to put Audio and Video on the same run?

Also guys, maybe I am missing something but say I have 6 cat5 cables come into the back of my homseer server. Would all the wires from all 6 cables be connected to a mini RCA jack to input into the soundcards out? Too bad you can't use some kinda hub equipment!

Comment

Working...
                              X