thanks mate, your a star!

Cheers

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Stuart
    replied
    Hi,
    here is a link

Make Your Own Audiophile Quality RCA Patch Cables...

Stuart

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/printthread.php?t=32896

Leave a comment:

• codey
    replied
    Originally posted by JPElectron
    See the last two, NetCam and Audio/Video...

http://www.gettank.com/electronics/p...5%20Wiring.gif

Been doing it this way for years, there is really no need to waist $ on these kinds of things...

http://www.smarthome.com/7805S.html

http://www.smarthome.com/7805.html
    I know this is a really old post, but the top link doesn't work anymore, does anyone have a copy of it?

Cheers

Jim

Leave a comment:

• BillyBob
    replied
    If you ever want to go to Gibabit ethernet you will need all 8 conductors in the cat 5.....

I have in the past put 1 network and 2 phone lines in the same cat 5 run.

I don' do that anymore, hope to one day go to gigabit

Leave a comment:

• bblhed
    Guest replied
    http://www.russound.com/abus_overview.htm

Leave a comment:

• izone
    Guest replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Too bad you can't use some kinda hub equipment! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you?
    They're called distribution amplifiers. You'll need one if you want to send video to multiple destinations simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

• proudx
    replied
    well that solves it then.

I will run seperate cat5 cables for audio and network. Is it safe to put Audio and Video on the same run?

Also guys, maybe I am missing something but say I have 6 cat5 cables come into the back of my homseer server. Would all the wires from all 6 cables be connected to a mini RCA jack to input into the soundcards out? Too bad you can't use some kinda hub equipment!

Leave a comment:

• huggy591
    replied
    PS. If you want, you can buy Y cables that allow you to use both sets of pairs in a Cat5 cable for networking. Or you can make them.

See this page at the Cyberguys.com web site.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."

Leave a comment:

• huggy591
    replied
    Standard Ethernet 10/100 Cat5/e uses 2 pair - one pair on pins 1,2, the other pair on pins 3,6 of an RJ-45 8-pin connector. That leaves wire pairs 4,5 and 7,8 for other use. 1000baseT (copper gigabit) typically uses all 4 pair to reach up to about 800Mbps. On a properly-terminated RJ45 using the T568B wiring standard, 10/100 coloring would be the white-orange/orange and white-green/green twisted pairs.

Note that each pair in the Cat5 bundle is twisted at a slightly different twist/foot ratio to reduce signal crosstalk across the various pairs. This does result in a slightly less-than-ideal match for the center frequency the wire best supports.

HOWEVER, using the unused pairs for other signal types may interfere with networking signaling or vice versa, especially if the signals are more powerful than the wire can handle and/or are at a frequency that is a harmonic of the other signal being carried. I would not recommand using them for video or speaker-level audio on a run that supports networking or any sensitive signal. You can get away with another network signal (I've done it), but it can create crosstalk and signal degradation on even short runs.

Also, most electrical signals won't benefit from twisted pair unless they are using differential signaling (balanced signals) at both ends to support common-mode rejection. This is one reason the use of a balun (or impedance matching transformer) is recommended. The other is the signal strength put on the wire.

And remember that Cat5 is not a shielded cable, meaning it could pick up or radiate signals from/into the air or surrounding wiring. Adding shielding results in capacitance issues and usually reduces the usable length of the cable, but it is available.

- Gordon

"It said Windows 2000 or better, so I installed Linux..."

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I never paid much attention to the pinouts and always assumed that the two tightly twisted pairs would be the transmit and receive. Turns out that the orange pair is loosly twisted and that is the transmit side while the green pair is tightly twisted as the receive side. May this have to do with the carrier-sense collision retry algorithm? There should be some engineering rationale.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Only 4 wires needed for 100 base network connections.

http://www.rainbolt.net/wiring.html

-Rupp

Leave a comment:

• jboyes
    replied
    ...so you can splice two connectors on each end of the cable.

Whether it works or not, depends on crosstalk, as noted above.

Leave a comment:

• Bkphillips
    replied
    2 network drops over 1 cat5 - yeah buddy!
    If your buddy can prove it. DO IT!!

I'd love to hear/see/know how that was done, that sounds really cool!

I'm positive that audio can be sustained, not sure on video, but I'm half tempted to try it on one of those little X10 Web cam jobbies !!

Leave a comment:

• lanman1
    Guest replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Proud:
    my buddy was able to get 2 100mbit network runs from 1 cat5 cable so I know that a computer can connect on half the wires in a cat5 connection. Therefore it would leave the other half open for another network port and or Audio and Video, am i not correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct in theory. The only thing to watch out for is cross talk between the video carrier signal and the data.

Leave a comment:

• proudx
    replied
    my buddy was able to get 2 100mbit network runs from 1 cat5 cable so I know that a computer can connect on half the wires in a cat5 connection. Therefore it would leave the other half open for another network port and or Audio and Video, am i not correct?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X