Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Opened that COM port?

Guys

Anyone know how to identify (or an app that does!) what appluication or service has opened one or more COM ports?

Thanks....

David
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Originally posted by djblack View Post
    Guys

Anyone know how to identify (or an app that does!) what appluication or service has opened one or more COM ports?

Thanks....

David

Hi David

I use this http://www.serialmon.com/ for sniffing.

When you go to Preferences , it gives you a list of ports avaiable on your machine, and if any are already in use which application has them open.

Hope this helps

Andy

P.S. I might be getting somewhere talking straight to the electric meter via RS-232. Watch this space.

Comment

Hi Andy

Just downloaded the serial monitor so will give it a go.

I have several other monitors/sniffers but none shows who/what is using the port.

Ta!

David

Comment

David,

Did you get my PM?, not sure if it sent, been having a few difficulties with my PC

I recently had the displeasure of installing XRay Vision from X10, only for when I restarted the PC it decided to reserve and block seven COM ports (designed for the FireCracker), including the one for my CM11, Current Cost Meter - the works.

I don't know any way to start intercepting data and finding programs but if its still open when you close HS its a case of trial and error in task manager i'm afraid!

Ad

Comment

Hi Both

Andy - guess what utility does not work?!?! see below...it fails to list any "opened by" app/service!!

Adam... yes, I got the pm... I am still on the case... I have not installed anything new other than rfxcom, and they are on com12 and 13. I had not answered as I hoped to diagnose further...

If I close HS down, the port I want to use (currentcost) is still open!

What serialmon does show is that for some reason there are "shadow" ports there... you can see they are not connected and are greyed out! Andy - do yours show similar?

David
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Both

Andy - guess what utility does not work?!?! see below...it fails to list any "opened by" app/service!!

Adam... yes, I got the pm... I am still on the case... I have not installed anything new other than rfxcom, and they are on com12 and 13. I had not answered as I hoped to diagnose further...

If I close HS down, the port I want to use (currentcost) is still open!

What serialmon does show is that for some reason there are "shadow" ports there... you can see they are not connected and are greyed out! Andy - do yours show similar?

David

Hmmm.... Mine seems to work fine???

It shows 1 USB serial and 10 normal COM ports, none greyed out and the app which has it open correctly shown.

Very strange

I'd send you a screen dump but I'm at work at the moment.

Andy

Comment

I'm at a bit of a loss...can you close it from HS using just the hs.closecomport message after disabling the current cost update event? Whats strange looking at that picture is the two sets of COM 8-11 for whatever reason, one of which is disabled...

Failing that disconnect and reconnect after the USB serial for 30secs see if it re-enables - but it may re-allocate itself a port?

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoJunkie View Post
                Hmmm.... Mine seems to work fine???

It shows 1 USB serial and 10 normal COM ports, none greyed out and the app which has it open correctly shown.

Very strange

I'd send you a screen dump but I'm at work at the moment.

Andy

Andy... perhaps because most of mine are usb.... then again, perhaps not!

Will be interested to see yours... esp the usb one...

I have not rebooted the hs server, so that may just change things.. plus, if the serial monitor was started after the prots were opened... hmmm...

David

SP - yes, loop on pcb...

Comment

Andy... after the prots were opened... hmmm...

David

Prots?? Have you been at Gogs's drinks cabinet

Comment

Yeh, that would have been good... and if I had, it might be working by now... hehe!

David

Comment

GOG'S GROGS????

~Bill

Comment

I wondered why the stock kept disappearing.
                        sigpic
                        A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                        X