McAfee and HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McAfee and HS

I use Comcast as my ISP and have the McAfee Security Suite (provided free to Comcast users) installed on the HS computer. I seem to have occasional problems when McAfee, Sun (for Java) or Microsoft pushes updates to their software, some HS process or plug-in will get delayed, hang or go bonkers. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? My question is, given I run HS on a dedicated PC and given HS's limited need (at least in my case) to access to the internet to update weather info and such, is there a better anti-virus and/or security suite to use? McAfee seems to tunnel into so many parts of Windows that I can't help but feel it takes over at times and screws things up.

I stopped running McAfee, or any antivirus, on my HS computer back in the days of HS1 because of the problems they cause. Every so often I run Spybot and Ad-Aware, both free downloads, and so far they have come up with nothing much.

On my other computers I run NOD AV which has a very small footprint. If you are happy not using AV on the HS computer I would remove it. Also go easy with those Windows security updates, they can have very unpredictable results.

If it aint bust, don't fix it.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I guess I must be lucky , because I've been using McAfee for years without any problems. I disabled the on-line scan and just scheduled one every week, and as Gogs said in all the years of running 24/7 its found absolutely zip!

Andy

Comment

I have Comcast with their McAfee Security Suite on a dedicated HS machine too, but haven't had any problems.

Comment

I also have Comcast and their McAfee AV program running on my Homseer machine. I have automatic virus updates ON. It works great. Only issue is that some of the virus updates require a computer reboot. So when a "reboot required" message pops up, I shutdown Homeseer and reboot the computer. This happens about once every 60 days. I have not had a virus found on my Homeseer computer in 3 years!

Steve Q
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
          2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Regarding AV on a HS Dedicated Machine

You do not require it.

Unless of course you are using it for other things. Then it is not dedicated.

My HS machine also has a programme which collects all emails from my ISP then redistributes them to other computers. A few Trojens have come through, not affected my HS Computer and been picked up by the AV on the other computers.

Lets not get paranoid about this.

Running AV can completely screw up HS, I said can. It will certainly bog down your computer and make the supplier a lot of money.

Strange. Mac has no anti virus, does not need it.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
            X