New-b questio on x10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New-b questio on x10

I have not done anything with x10 for about 5 years, moving to a new house I would like to purchase Homeseer and start setting it back up.

Do x10 Switches report status if someone would turn the switch on would it show that in Homeseer? Is there a reference list of switches/modules that do this that I see?

xps3 and xpdi3 were 2 switches I was looking at. I want to be able to see (online) if someone has these on or off.

thanks for any help

Originally posted by rollerbones1 View Post
    I have not done anything with x10 for about 5 years, moving to a new house I would like to purchase Homeseer and start setting it back up.

Do x10 Switches report status if someone would turn the switch on would it show that in Homeseer? Is there a reference list of switches/modules that do this that I see?

xps3 and xpdi3 were 2 switches I was looking at. I want to be able to see (online) if someone has these on or off.

thanks for any help
    None of the "X10" switches report their status, nor can you poll them for their status. You need to get into the higher end switches for this capability.
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Originally posted by rollerbones1 View Post

thanks for any help
      Like RAM said, I don't believe that any of the "X10" brand switches support this, but some other higher end brands do.

Frankly, however, if you're looking into setting up a new installation and buying all new switches I'd look at one of the other newer technologies - Z-Wave, Insteon, or UPB. HomeSeer supports all three.

X10 is really on it's way out now and I think the only reason a lot of us are still using X10 is because that's what we already have. I think that if most of us were to start over right now we'd probably choose a different technology.

Comment

I myself when I started to do HS, I had the same question, x10 or zwave, since the x10 run thru your AC line, Iwas not happy with that because of all of the noise other equipment generate and go in the same path as x10, so I decided to go with Zwave and so far Ive been very happy with it.
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I agree that you should look into something newer than X10 if you are starting out buying new...

However a 2 way x10 device (as long as it transmits) will notify HS that the device has changed status. I don't remember model numbers anymore but example a keypadlinc transmits and so HS is aware of the change.

if you have a 2 way x10 switch and you turn it on at the switch it will show as changed to on in HS.
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?
          I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Thanks, I acutally dont have much of my x10 stuff left.
            There are ALOT of switches I would like to change out. Which brand has the best cost? (wife will not let me break the bank on this project)

The first ones I would buy are Fan switches.. I want to get these up and going first so if you have any recomendations... Also I have a Vista 20p Alarm panel that can control lights with the touchscreen, but I think it is only x10.

Thanks

Comment

well since you dont have much x10 left.. maybe switching would be good..

although I do have x10 running pretty stable (although something got plugged in recently and is killing my utility room from working correctly)
              just too busy to look into it so far..

anyway..
              x10 can do status requests and report status..

there are 2 way lamp modules (I had a few but sold them)

I have togglelinc switches as the switchlinc ones are decora.
              my 23890w report status.....
              I have 23896w that do not so I just use a motion sensor to trip the light and then HS shows it is on..... I do that with door sensors too... when tripped turn the light on thus HS knows it is on....
              HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

And then there is UPB. It has everything nice that X-10 has, plus it works, and reports the status back of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee View Post
                  And then there is UPB. It has everything nice that X-10 has, plus it works, and reports the status back of everything.
                  but they dont have togglelinc style switches... or id think about it...
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Decide what technology you want to use - everything at my place that can be z-wave is z-wave - Products that speak Z-Wave work together better. If we are talking Z-Wave - Levition just came out with a fan control - VRF01-1LX Vizia RF + 1.5A Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control - works great.

Comment

Working...
                    X