SteveQ's current sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SteveQ's current sensor

Just thought I would let everyone know about SteveQ's current sensor. It uses the CR magnetics current sensor with a small circuit he put together that attaches to a DS10a. I have 2 of them one on each of my freezers. The included script writes the on and off times to a file, so you can see how much time the units are on and calculate electricty usage, but you can also create an event that lets you know if the freezer (or other device/appliance) is either off or on for an extended period of time (i have the event set for 4 hours) I am then notified via TTS, Email and a phone call that I better go check the freezer for a malfunction (door ajar, circuit breaker tripped or an actual freezer malfunction)

Contact SteveQ for details, I plan on having him build several more for me. Great way to monitor all types of devices

Jack
    Over The Hill
    What Hill?
    Where?
    When?
    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Need help

I purchased all the parts at RatShack for the sensor a month ago. Have not have time (or the skill) to get it together. Not really sure how the variable resistor connects to the bridge rectifier. The variable resistor has 3 pins? I did build a simpler wireless current senor. Unfortunately, this one does a poor job of detecting status of my LCD tv.

Steve can you build a couple for me too!
    Larry

Comment

Yes, I can build them. I will send you a PM.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I had Steave build me one and it worked perfect. He is great at building them.

Thom

Comment

Where do we find this circuit? I'd like to build one as well.
          Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Go to this post, it describes the device and provides a circuit diagram.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=42

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
              Yes, I can build them. I will send you a PM.

Steve Q
              Steve

You think you can put me in your custmer list
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Just another endorsement of SteveQ's circuit. I built two of them the weekend I saw it, and now have logging of when either of our two big screen TV's are on (great for keeping tabs during the school year!).

Steve

Comment

Great service!

I too can vouch for Steve's service.

He built two for me, and also purchased the CRM CT's for me as well.

I connected to my DS-10A's, put his breadboard in a 35mm film canister, and was off to the races!

Good communication, good service, quick shipping.

(now he's gonna have to hire help....)

Comment

Thanks, If it gets to the point of hiring help, I know where to find it! --- Right here!

Steve Q

Comment

should I send my resume
                      Over The Hill
                      What Hill?
                      Where?
                      When?
                      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Steve (and anyone else interested):

Just FYI, if you are getting the Current Transformer from DigiKey (I don't know of where else to go for it), you can get almost everything else in the same order, and cheaper (I think) than at Radio Shack:

W005GDI-ND Bridge Rectifier, 50V, 1.5A ($0.73 ea)
                        WN3904FS-ND NPN Transistor, TO92 package ($0.11 ea)
                        3006W-103LF-ND 10K Ohm rectangular potentiometer ($1.87 ea)
                        277-1273-ND 2 conductor terminal blocks ($1.20 ea)
                        493-1081-ND 100uF Electorlytic capacitor, radial ($0.22 ea)

Also, I found a case the assembled board will fit in:

HM361-ND 3.3" X 2.2" X 0.8" polystyrene black box ($3.40 ea)

I did pay about $8 shipping, so factor that in. My guess is the more that you order the less significant the shipping costs would be.

I didn't find quite the right board to mount the stuff on, but that was mostly because I forgot about it and went to bed after I placed my order. I'm sure they've got something that would work.

Steve
                        Last edited by stevea; September 27, 2008, 08:52 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Oh, I forgot about the 10K resistors. I didn't order any from DigiKey because I already had a bunch. Here's one that seems about right:

10KH-ND: 10K Ohm, 0.5W, 5% tolerance, carbon film ($.26 for 5)

Also (SteveQ should jump in here): These don't have to be 10K. There's probably a lower limit you don't want to go below, but I would guess anything over 1K would work OK. SteveQ?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                            Steve (and anyone else interested):

Just FYI, if you are getting the Current Transformer from DigiKey (I don't know of where else to go for it), you can get almost everything else in the same order, and cheaper (I think) than at Radio Shack:

W005GDI-ND Bridge Rectifier, 50V, 1.5A ($0.73 ea)
                            WN3904FS-ND NPN Transistor, TO92 package ($0.11 ea)
                            3006W-103LF-ND 10K Ohm rectangular potentiometer ($1.87 ea)
                            277-1273-ND 2 conductor terminal blocks ($1.20 ea)
                            493-1081-ND 100uF Electorlytic capacitor, radial ($0.22 ea)

Also, I found a case the assembled board will fit in:

HM361-ND 3.3" X 2.2" X 0.8" polystyrene black box ($3.40 ea)

I did pay about $8 shipping, so factor that in. My guess is the more that you order the less significant the shipping costs would be.

I didn't find quite the right board to mount the stuff on, but that was mostly because I forgot about it and went to bed after I placed my order. I'm sure they've got something that would work.

Steve

so that is 15.53....
                            Where can one find the ct's for cheap?
                            since steve q doesnt want that much more than the total when you factor the ct in... it is worth it to just buy from him!!!!

I was going to buy a few... but have been put on hold... all my hs projects are now on hold....
                            I have 2 hobbies..

1. Home Automation
                            2. 1978 chevy pickup mud truck - my first vechicle back in 1989.....

so I was working on the truck and found my electric drain... dummy me plugged the dual tank solenoid power into batt instead of ign so that was killing my dual batteries in just a few days....

so now I need to work on the truck.... just bought me an entire wire harness kit... ez wiring 21... 18 fuse / 21 circuits.... so that is gonna be a bear....
                            also will be nice due to my '78 now has an electric fuel pump which will get its own fuse and other stuff too...

ahhh rambling... sorry back to topic...

is there anywhere to find the ct? on a device that maybe cheaper to take apart for the ct?
                            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Another option

Another option if you just need on/off function, you can order a CR Magnetics CR9321-NPN (digikey part # 582-1021-ND. I am using 2 of these to monitor my freezer for on/off cycles and my TV to automatically turn on/off a set of auxilary speakers. I have each of them connected to a DS-10A. Just cut the magnetic reed switch off the DS-10A and connect the two wires to the CR9321-NPN and your set. There is a polarity, so if it doesn't work one way just switch the wires.
                              Dick
                              HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Working...
                              X