Home Theater - cable box off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletch,

Good idea, rather than a powerflash module, I think I will use a simple 120V SPDT relay, with a DS10A connected to the relay. I forgot about the switched outlet because I have my subwoofer plugged into it. I have a jungle of wires behind my TV with everything plugged into a power strip. I'm not sure the powerflash would be very relaible in that environment.

Thanks
    Steve Q
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
      I have a similar setup as you & have elected to leave the cable box on 24/7 because of the reasons you stated. My biggest "problem" with the Motorola box is the amount of heat is generates.
      The heat is really an issue for me too. My cable box is behind a glass door. It really gets hot. (another reason to turn it off!) I feel like I should leave the door open when it is ON.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

So I ended up using a DS10a and small 24V relay powered via a wall wart. I plugged the wall wart into the accessory outlet on the cable box. Now when the cable box is turned ON or OFF I get an ON or OFF signal from the DS10. I think this will work nicely because we have multiple remotes that can control the TV and Cable Box. It adds quite a bit more capability to my home theater setup. Because I use discrete IR codes for my TV, Surround sound, and DVD player, I can be sure these components get turned OFF when the cable Box is turned OFF. Likewise when the cable box gets turned ON, I can turn ON the surround sound , adjust volume levels, change the room lighting, etc.

Steve Q

Comment

I've been shutting my Motorola HD box off every night for a few months. I have a zwave appliance module hooked up to it. It kicks off each night at 11 and kicks on each evening at 5. By the time we get home the program guide is updated and our programs all still record.

quite nice and less heat, less energy, etc...

Comment

Working...
          X