Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logging devices...

Ok so it has been talked before...

how are you logging door, window and stuff..

Ok so I could use

1. power trigger - free and used it before.. I just didnt set it up right.. you have to setup perging and stuff as my xls files got huge quick...

2. bl has a device logger

3. could just do a hs.writelog whenever the one I want logged is tripped - and ultralog to do a query

4. what else is there up here?

When we get people to watch our dog... it is a shame to not trust them but I have a ds10a on the back door.. im not logging it.. I want to know how many times it is open while we are away so I know the dog is left out enough (yes we found a few presents when we got home)

also im going to setup a float in the sump to monitor it... I want to be able to log each time it is tripped.. and if too long I want it to alert us....

that is just the starter....

my hs machine is no longer running server 2003 but winxp... so sql is out... I wanted to use sql or an access database.....

I wish ultralog would allow us to log to different tables for certain things instead of just to the main log.....
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

I have searched the board for the source of a script that I have used to log temperatures...... can't find it to give you the link.

It was referred to as a "simple data base"and wrote to an ".sdb" file. As I remember, it's a keyed/indexed file, and there was a routine that did the add/change/delete functions. If you're interested I'll pull the actual scripts out and send them to you.

Comment

Since I have used Microsoft Excel for years at work, I prefer to use it to analyze data files. So for temperatures, ON/OFF data, motion counts, I simply write the data to a .txt file. Whenever I want to look at the data I just import it into Excel. I use scripts to save the data and they automatically create a new data file each month. For motion at a particular time of day, I find it is easier to just look in the Homeseer log. I like to wrap certain log messages in HTML tags so it shows up in color and it is easy to find when paging through the log.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
        I wish ultralog would allow us to log to different tables for certain things instead of just to the main log.....
        UltraLog does let you do that. In options, you can tell it to keep track of either / both device value changes and device status changes. When you display a filter in UltraLog, you can choose from:

1) Homeseer Log
        2) Device Status Log
        3) Device Value Log
        4) Syslog

Poof! Your wish has come true!

I have my own device status change events tied to all my door sensors, and I log the events to a separate database. I then have an ASP.NET page that I can look at history of whatever doors I want to filter on.

Steve

Comment

ds10a logging

Here's how I log my ds10a's for my doors:

I start with making each sensor a DooMotion sensor. I then wrote a vb .NET script (see attached) that gets executed each time a door is opened via DooMotion's CAC (Custom Action Code). The device code is passed in. I use an Access database to either add one to the counter, or just insert it. I also build a graph and store it in a virtual device - again, every time any door opens. This graph is displayed on my main status screen.

I then have a nightly event that runs ds10a.vb with no arguments indicating that the database needs to be cleaned-up. I only keep 7 days of data, but you could easily modify it to keep unlimited data.

Hope this helps or gives you ideas...
          Attached Files
          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

also im going to setup a float in the sump to monitor it... I want to be able to log each time it is tripped.. and if too long I want it to alert us....

Jeff, This is a good application for a wireless current sensor connected to the sump pump. It will tell you each time it runs and how long. I have one on my well pump and I have an event that triggers an alarm if the pump runs for more than 20 minutes (5-15 min is normal). I also track whenever the pump runs at 3-4AM. It tells me that the water softener is running and how often it recycles.

Steve Q
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post

I start with making each sensor a DooMotion sensor. I then wrote a vb .NET script (see attached) that gets executed each time a door is opened via DooMotion's CAC (Custom Action Code). The device code is passed in. I use an Access database to either add one to the counter, or just insert it. I also build a graph and store it in a virtual device - again, every time any door opens. This graph is displayed on my main status screen.

I then have a nightly event that runs ds10a.vb with no arguments indicating that the database needs to be cleaned-up. I only keep 7 days of data, but you could easily modify it to keep unlimited data.

Hope this helps or gives you ideas...

SWEET! Thanks for sharing your script. I will definately learn from it. Your graph is Excellent.

Steve Q

Comment

Originally posted by stevea View Post
                UltraLog does let you do that. In options, you can tell it to keep track of either / both device value changes and device status changes. When you display a filter in UltraLog, you can choose from:

1) Homeseer Log
                2) Device Status Log
                3) Device Value Log
                4) Syslog

Poof! Your wish has come true!

I have my own device status change events tied to all my door sensors, and I log the events to a separate database. I then have an ASP.NET page that I can look at history of whatever doors I want to filter on.

Steve

wow I blinked and must have missed that part.. will have to check it again when I get home.. THanks...

also I will look at the other stuff here too.... but definitely something I need to do...

expecially because I need to log motion/light out back during the night.....

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                  SWEET! Thanks for sharing your script. I will definately learn from it. Your graph is Excellent.

Steve Q
                  Thanks!

My next goal with ChartDirector is to popup a window when hovering over the 'doors' and list the detail:
                  9/15 08:13a Open
                  9/15 08:14a Closed
                  9/15 09:10a Open
                  9/15 09:10a Closed
                  etc.

That would be cool.

Telefragger - you mentioned that Access was not an option and I missed that. Sql Server 2005 Express is a free download and limits you to a 4G data file - that might be something to look at. We use SS2005 here at work and it's pretty cool.

Comment

Thanks!

My next goal with ChartDirector is to popup a window when hovering over the 'doors' and list the detail:
                    9/15 08:13a Open
                    9/15 08:14a Closed
                    9/15 09:10a Open
                    9/15 09:10a Closed
                    etc.

That would be cool.

Telefragger - you mentioned that Access was not an option and I missed that. Sql Server 2005 Express is a free download and limits you to a 4G data file - that might be something to look at. We use SS2005 here at work and it's pretty cool.
                    ms access is an option... i figured sql will not run on XP so was saying that is not an option.. unless im wrong... known before many times...

also that chart is EXACTLY what I want!!!!! will have to pick your brain on that later...

Comment

rmasonjr,

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm curious. What's the value of plotting the frequency of door events?

I display a sorted (time ordered) list of door open / close events, but I hadn't ever thought of showing a histogram. I don't know what I would conclude from the data.

Steve

Comment

rmasonjr,

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm curious. What's the value of plotting the frequency of door events?

I display a sorted (time ordered) list of door open / close events, but I hadn't ever thought of showing a histogram. I don't know what I would conclude from the data.

Steve
                        for me ... it would show when I go on a vacation... how many times someone came over to let the dogs out.....

or another would be... our alarm went off one night.. I got up in a panic.. ran around, shut the alarm off.. and heard it say zone 2... well I thought that was the garage door.. which doesnt close tight sometimes... well I was wrong.. I wrote on the devices what zone they were... garage door was zone 4.... so I ran to the back door and it was zone 2....
                        well my sliding glass door doesnt open easy... so now I put a ds10a on it to tell last time it was tripped...... this would have helped me find out if someone really tried getting in. I forgot to lock that door that night too!!!!!!

I did enable the stuff in ultralog and it is working..... however it shows 1 and 0 and temps as 389 for 38.9.... so it does work... however I would have to figoure out some of this....

Comment

rmasonjr,

Steve
                          ha! My wife asked the same thing

There's no realy value other than I know when a door is opened and how many times. I do have one goal, though:

I have a motion detector right outside the 'Front Door'. When it detects motion, HS speaks "motion detected at the front door". When I go *out* the door, I get the speech event. Ideally, I would not want to speak if the ds10a has been opened for less than a minute.

Granted, things like this could be done without fancy charts and graphs, but I'm constantly coming up with ways to report realtime activity around my home. It's part of my work/job as well. I write dashboards for a telephone company, and having access to realtime data is key. I'm also a visual person - I like walking past my PC and seeing realtime data - temperature, calls, etc.

I guess the short answer is "because I can"

Thanks!

Comment

I guess the short answer is "because I can"
                            Now *THAT* I can understand - and relate to!

Steve

Comment

haha - I love graphs! The first thing that crossed my mind when I viewed the graph, was "lots of activity on Mondays!"

Comment

Working...
                              X