TI103-RS232 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TI103-RS232 Problem

I've been having a problem with my TI103 not communicating with HomeSeer. It had been working great. Now, I get a communication error. I've tried connecting it to other serial ports and changing the corresponding settings under Setup.
    Out of desperation, I purchased another TI103. I am having the same issues with this one. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Attached Files

Wanna sell one ?
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

What version of HomeSeer are you running? What OS are you running on? Are the cables replaceable on this hardware? Have you tried another PC?
      -Rupp
      sigpic

Comment

I'm running Windows XP, HS version 2.2.0.11.
        I've tried both TI103's on comm port 1, 6, 7 & 8 (7 & 8 are on a PCI card and another device - MR26A communicates fine on 7 or 8).
        6 is a USB to serial adapter and that device works fine as well.
        I've tried both TI103's on another PC as well, sending a query of $>28AA00CC# in HyperTerminal by pasting to host, using 9600 baud, 1 Stop bit, 8 Data bits and no parity. I don't get at reply at all.

Comment

Wanna sell one

Wadenut:

Likely I'll sell one, but not until I get this problem fixed.

Comment

Where did you purchase these? If you bought these from HomeSeer then I would recommend sending one of them back for testing to see if it's the hardware or your PC's config.
            -Rupp
            sigpic

Comment

I bought the latest one from Smarthome. The previous one, which had been working fine for about 2 yrs, was purchased from ACS.

Comment

Had same issh after years great service on XP. Finally moved HS to a Vista PC. Perfect.
                Obviously something wrong on XP machine. Never could get a handle on it.

Comment

Frank,

Since the very beginning I installed the TI103, I got and still get the same error in the log when I start Homeseer. However, even with this message, I never had any issues using the interface: it just works...

Because there was no operational issue, I never bothered opening a case.

So are you sure you cannot use the interface at all after HS has booted and is completely up?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank S View Post
                    I've been having a problem with my TI103 not communicating with HomeSeer. It had been working great. Now, I get a communication error. I've tried connecting it to other serial ports and changing the corresponding settings under Setup.
                    Out of desperation, I purchased another TI103. I am having the same issues with this one. Any suggestions on what to do?
                    I had a different comm port problem with the TI103, namely that although the setup configuration will let you put in a value of the comm port greater than 16, it appears that the driver/plugin only works up to port 16.

I wasted much of a day trying to puzzle this out. Homeseer support responded very promptly but provided no useful information and didn't respond to direct specific questions that would have lead me to the correct answer/solution more quickly.

Quoted below in larger type is the final, pertinent part of our discussion picking up where I comment/explain that their suggestion that I reinstall HS (yet again) would not have solved the problem. HS closed the ticket without responding, so I have no confirmation that they agree that this is the problem or that they will revise the diocumentation or the installer/configuration so as not to permit a choice of comm number not actually supported.

Found it! And reinstalling HS would have done nothing to solve it.

Although "Beginning with HomeSeer Version 2.0, there is no limit on the number of COM ports" (asserts HS's help file in unqualified fashion) I was burned by the fact that there _is_ (apparently) an undocumented limit imposed by the _plugins_ for some devices.

For example, in my case, using COM17 for INSTEON PLM and COM19 for AC-RF2 works fine. Trying to use COM18 (on the same Serial device) for the ACT TI103 fails. Without making any hardware changes but by simply changing the port number for the TI103 from COM18 to COM4 through XP device manager and the TI103 works -- as it does for any COMn =<COM16.
                    Apparently the same basic story with NAPCO 9600.

At minimum, what needs changing here is that the Setup > Interfaces > Configuration should not let the user choose a port that is not supported by the plugin!

Seems fundamental error-checking/elimination to me. I recall adding a similar input verification to a program that I wrote that was stored on audio cassette using the Kansas City Standard which -- would place it in the late 1970's ;-)

Hope This Helps improve HS ... Marc

Comment

Since the TI103 plug-in is a legacy plug-in (ocx) it is likely using MSCOMM to communicate with the serial ports. MSCOMM is hard coded to limit the COM ports to 16 and below. There is an unsupported one byte patch to MSCOMM32.DLL that raises the limit to 99. I've applied it on my system with success (in my case it was primarily for my own plug-in, LEDAM).

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bdickhaus View Post
                        Since the TI103 plug-in is a legacy plug-in (ocx) it is likely using MSCOMM to communicate with the serial ports. MSCOMM is hard coded to limit the COM ports to 16 and below. There is an unsupported one byte patch to MSCOMM32.DLL that raises the limit to 99. I've applied it on my system with success (in my case it was primarily for my own plug-in, LEDAM).

Bill
                        Thanks! Yes, that would explain it.

I solved the problem for my particular installation by renaming/numbering the port to a lower number through XP Device Manager . The time-consuming part of arriving at the solution was getting past the suggestions from HS support and diagnosing the actual cause on my own.

And if the problem is indeed as described here, it seems to me that HS sh/could:

1) Change the install to limit the comm port to =<16 for those plugins to which the limit pertains (T1103, Napco etc). HS's install procedure should not merrily let the unsuspecting user specify a port number that _will_ fail! These are, after all, plugins written and supported by HS.
                        2) Revise the existing documentation to point out the limitation.

The time spent on this issue just this one time could have accomplished 1) and 2) several many times over. As is, the saga is sure to be repeated by others.

Thanks again ... Marc
                        Last edited by hult; October 23, 2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X