Some General Security System Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some General Security System Questions

I've spent a couple hours searching here and the internet and can't seem to find a few basic answers to some questions I have.

1) I have a Brinks system today, and am considering dumping them for a less expensive monthly (or yearly) remote monitoring option, as well as give me the ability to interface with HS. Does the DSC, Caddx, etc. all have the ability to be monitored remotely by a security company? I get an insurance discount if so.

2) Do all of the typical options today (DSC, Caddx, Elk, HAI, etc) work fine with VOIP phone lines? I know Brinks had to upgrade my controller when I switched to VOIP. I understand the issues of using VOIP for monitored security.

3) What are typical monthly/yearly costs for remote monitoring if I install a system myself (just for security, no fire or extras right now)? I've paid $22-$29/month with Brinks over the years. I'd love something that is $200 or less over 12 months (or paid yearly). Does anyone recommend any national remote monitoring companies or ones local to the Houston,TX area?

4) If I merely want to monitor status of doors and zones, as well as arm/disarm the entire system and/or zones remotely via Homeseer, I assume I can go with a less expensive DSC or Caddx system. Right? Is the IT-100 and HS plugin all that is required for the DSC to integrate with HS? I can't tell yet if the Caddx requires integration with a HA controller or if it can integrate at a low cost with HS.

5) I have a fully wired system today with contacts on all windows and doors with two panels. I'm assuming I can simply replace the 2 panels and controller and hook into the existing sensor wires, siren, and phone line. Is this a safe assumption?

6) The security system I have came with my house and was a Brinks system already. I simply continued remote monitoring with Brinks. If you dump Brinks, do they take the hardware back? Or is it typically yours to keep? My monthly bill only says "remote monitoring" so if the original owner bought via Brinks, it's not called out in my monthly bill. So I'm hoping it's paid for and mine to keep should I dump my Brinks contract.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Ben

I was in the same situation... 5 years back... I moved into a house that had adt... well we didnt do nothing.. but went to disney... well we activated a 2 year contract with adt... $49.xx a month... insurance and everything..
    well I called them recently.... and told them I want a new alarm and I have no contract... they said ok... I have ALL WIRELESS even 2 keypads..

I was trying to get from them what system would work so I could buy it, put it in and get someone else to monitor it..

well the guy told me he could install a concord 4... for free but 2 year activation..

well now sitting on my garage workbench is a concord 4... all configured and all I have to do is call adt and shut them down, move this in and activate with someone else... i forget who it was but they only wanted $110 a year...!!!!!!

I got to get off my lazy self and drop adt...

but I used the concord 4... ok so right now there is no plugin... however someone was going to make one.... hmm got to get back on him about that..

all I had to buy was the concord 4 box which came with a wired alpha numeric keypad, battery backup, x10 transformer (found out it wont do what I want).... and a superbus 2000 automation unit... so I am ready once I get this thing in.... but need a plugin...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

but I used the concord 4... ok so right now there is no plugin... however someone was going to make one.... hmm got to get back on him about that..
      (
      Thanks for the quick feedback. I really want something that can integrate with HS easily (and not require a standalone controller). Otherwise, I could just stick with my Brinks system that works fine now, and probably get Brinks's loyalty dept to get me a better rate for the next year to keep me from canceling. However, I'm ready to update this system that I've had since 2001, get it integrated with HS, and make it a little more useful than the basic door/window/siren/call-the-security-company system that it is.

Comment

Working...
      X