Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your opinion on what should be logged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your opinion on what should be logged?

I would like to known your opinion on what devices and or event should be logged and why? I would imagine that having all of your events and devices logged will be a nightmare, I currently have my MS but I would like to know your experience
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

I try to log as little as possible. This can be an issue when troubleshooting obscure problems. I tend to log X10 commands and usually my own hs.writelog() messages. The only events I log are my hourly, halfHourly, quarterHourly events.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I prefer everything logged with just a couple of exceptions. Devices that are off/on often like motion detectors would be one. I like knowing every event that runs and what triggered it.

I don't look at the log all that often, a quick scan to make sure I don't see any RED entries but that's pretty much it. When I do look at the log more carefully is when something doesn't work or when I'm fine tuning something. At those times I want as much information as I can get.
      Marty
      ------
      XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
      Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I built an auxillary logging mechanism, complete with the ability to craft HTML around it and the ability to send arbitrary strings by Event Actions, to allow me greater control and better formatting. This is in use now and should be released in PowerTrigger in a few weeks.

My gripe with using the general log is it gets all cluttered. Great for diagnostics, less wonderful for quick information viewing.

Comment

Working...
        X