Help Please with haunted lighting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please with haunted lighting!

I completed the construction of a new house in August in which I installed about 75 Cooper RF lights switches. All of sudden, I'm having switches go on by themselves. Last night, we were watching TV in the living room when our upstairs hall lights suddenly came on. About a half hour later, a foyer light ramped up. No one was near any switch in the house. Worst of all, about 2:00 in the morning, our garage lights and hall lights came on waking my wife who had to go put them out -- not to mention being freaked out!

I've checked the log file and see no indication that HS turned those lights on. I have very few events anyway and none at the moment that aren't diabled or manually executed. I use Z-Troller as the primary controller and have restrarted that as well as optimized the network without errors. Is it even possible for HS to trigger these without it showing up in the Log?

I don't believe we have anything else that would be interferring with the network. My only clue is that my son has suggested that he thought he saw the blue dimmer level light on his switch surge in brightness just about the time our hall lights went on last evening.

Could I have multiple switches suddenly going bad somehow or does anyone out there have some explanation before my wife tells me she wants $7k worth of light switches pulled out? Help please!

Before suspecting multiple failures, which isn't impossible, I'd suspect that a nearby neighbour is using some similar RF devices. You might verify this with mcsDeviceGrid or Blades similar plugin. If you see devices active you haven't installed, that may be the problem.
    I'm lucky. Most of my neighbours are over 70 and can barely operate a VCR.
    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Did you build on an old grave yard? Sorry, but I couldn't resist!
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
        Most of my neighbours are over 70 and can barely operate a VCR.
        Careful, you and I aren't too far away

any arrivals yet?
        Over The Hill
        What Hill?
        Where?
        When?
        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by cbarner View Post
          I completed the construction of a new house in August in which I installed about 75 Cooper RF lights switches. All of sudden, I'm having switches go on by themselves. Last night, we were watching TV in the living room when our upstairs hall lights suddenly came on. About a half hour later, a foyer light ramped up. No one was near any switch in the house. Worst of all, about 2:00 in the morning, our garage lights and hall lights came on waking my wife who had to go put them out -- not to mention being freaked out!

I've checked the log file and see no indication that HS turned those lights on. I have very few events anyway and none at the moment that aren't diabled or manually executed. I use Z-Troller as the primary controller and have restrarted that as well as optimized the network without errors. Is it even possible for HS to trigger these without it showing up in the Log?

I don't believe we have anything else that would be interferring with the network. My only clue is that my son has suggested that he thought he saw the blue dimmer level light on his switch surge in brightness just about the time our hall lights went on last evening.

Could I have multiple switches suddenly going bad somehow or does anyone out there have some explanation before my wife tells me she wants $7k worth of light switches pulled out? Help please!
          Have you optimized your network? are you running one of the later betas that has the zhealth feature (A lot of changes were made to the routing aspects of Zwave in the latest betas) it really helped my network. I would rescan, then do 4 optimizations (bad or corrupt routing gets removed after 4 sucessful optimizations) (I read that in one of Tink's posts I believe)
          Over The Hill
          What Hill?
          Where?
          When?

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Haunted House

I have re-optimized the network once and will go ahead and do so several more times this evening. But again, if HS turned the lights on, wouldn't it show that in the Log? As far as neighbors go, I'm on 11 acres by myself...

Comment

If HS turned the lights on, yes it would show in the log, but if the light was turned on locally or by an association, it does not show in the log, the device status would show on (if instant status is active), but it doesn't show in the log, at least it doesn't show in mine. I do not have any cooper devices so I don't know if that makes any difference

Jack
              Over The Hill
              What Hill?
              Where?
              When?

Comment

Here is a strong possibility - do you have the Cooper handheld controller, and could you have set up some events by accident that were configured to run at a certain time? If so, perhaps the date/time on the remote is wrong? The other possibility is, if you have a remote, could it have been left somewhere with something lying on it where one of the speed buttons could have been pressed?
                Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I'd just leave it to after Halloween. You could make some extra money by selling tours to your "haunted house."

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                    Careful, you and I aren't too far away

any arrivals yet?
                    True, and by the time we're 70 we'll likely be splainin' what VCR's were to the yunguns.

Nothing yet. According to the tracker it's gotten as far as the border. Customs will likely want to play with it for a couple of weeks.
                    Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Another possible clue. I've got one switch that when on, continues to show on the controller constantly until it is turned off as if it is stuck sending a signal out again and again. Not sure how it would impact the lights going on by themselves but it is obviously not right. If another switch is depressed while the faulty one is on, the other switch appears for a second, but then the faulty switch's number reappears and stays there. Should I just replace the switch or open a help ticket?

Comment

You might try replacing the switch with a conventional wall switch temporarily to see if that has any effect. If the 'ghosts' disappear, it would certainly reinforce your suspicion that the switch is the source of the problem.
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                        X