Acrf2 ? Rfxcom ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acrf2 ? Rfxcom ?

So, I have always loved the ACRF and now ACRF2 but the time has come to decide should I change to the RFXcom?

It appears lots of features are being added to the RFXcom all the time and the ACRF2 is getting left behind.

As Oman has been a really decent bloke to me over the last few years I am reluctant to throw my license away and pay again for the RFXCom one but there are features I would like and I dont see them being added to ACRF2.

It certainly is a dilemma, what to do?

TrOjAn

Me Too

TrojAn,

I'm thier with you sir. I have been a user of ACRF from the very early days and yes you are correct Oman is the reason I have not changed.

I understand the different pathes the two programs take however, I too would like many of the features in RFXcom. Infact some I know are running both. I don't have that great of need.

I would like to see some charting built into ACRF at some time though.

I don't know about you but, for me I will stay with Oman and ACRF2 for now.

Ed

Comment

I may spend some time trying the RFXcom one, I feel bad but like you say, so many more features which I dnt see Oman doing and if he does how long would it take?

Shame but then.... if you want more features

Wonder if I should approach HST about a discount?? they can have my ACRF2 license back and Ill pay an upgrade fee for the RFXcom one (me wakes up from dream land )

TrOjAn

Comment

Trojan,

What additional features will you get RFxcom? Are they really a "must have"? Lately, every time I have switched to what I thought was a better product I always find someting that is not quite what I expected. And the pain of upgrading is not always worth it. (my 2 cents)

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

For starters it has the logging and charting for the cent-a-meter, door bells, weather station all that sort of stuff.

TrOjAn

Comment

Does it work as well?

No slight intended as I too am looking at RFXCOM, but does it work as well/fast as ACRF2? Does it have shaddowing capability?

Can you run BOTH?

Rob

Comment

I wish there was a list of difference..

If it's just logging and support for some devices it might not be something I need

I think logging could be done another way if that's something you need.

Maybe there is a need for a plugin to turn all of homeseer into a historical log of every action that takes place. HST has many times stated they are not in the business of collection of data, but just in the automation end. The way I see it, is an accurate history is needed to automate stuff properly.

If a light switch turns on at a certain time and off at another those times could be subtracted and a dollar amount could be calculated as to how much is this light costing me... Nice pretty charts could let you know if it would be worth while changing over to CFL's etc.
              Maybe the answer is not switching plugin's but a new plugin that could work with all plugins for logging historical data and properly getting that data back out.

Sorry I got off topic. I'd like to see a list of all the things that this plugin offers over the other one.... right now I'm stuck with a W800 and this plug-in isn't an option.
              Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I suppose I could be accused of being biased towards the RFXCom plug-in as this is the one I have spent the most time with. I only used the ACRF2 for a few months.

The main reason for me choosing to go with the RFXCom, was that I needed support for the RFXCom transmitter which at the time I beleive was not available with the ACRF2.

Logging and charting was something that I was also interested in and I adapted the standard charts and database supplied with the RFXCom plug-in to suit my requirements. As some will be aware I have released my modified charts for everyone to use free of charge.

I beleive there are already a number of plug-ins available for logging and charting of any Homeseer devices.

Paul..

Comment

Another important factor is the speed at which the RFXCom is adding features, tell Bert about a protocol and before you know it.. its in the plugin, its impressive to say the least.

Again, not saying Oman dont do these things but I think he has a new job that takes a lot of his time..

TrOjAn

Comment

Another important factor is the speed at which the RFXCom is adding features
                    I think it is fair to say that the implementation of new features and/or protocols will be faster with the RFXCom plug-in. If you are the developer of both the hardware and the software, then surely things can move forward more freely.

I know from my limited coding experience how much time goes into developing something like the ACRF or RFXCom plug-in and it's not a couple of hours work.

I would say that its not worth changing something unless you need the features of the other product. Not much point in changing for changing's sake.

Paul..

Comment

I looked into buying a ethernet version of the rfxcom device. Cheapertronics didn't have any in stock.
                      Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Zimmer62,

I currently do have the LAN version in stock here:

http://www.cheapertronics.com/produc...=64&item_id=32

Regards,
                        PiperPilot

Comment

well if you have one and bought the other then I guess you are supporting both sides..... not that there is really a difference in sides.... we are all 1 happy family......

I own both..
                          use acrf2 for ds10a
                          use rfxcom for oregon temps (10 x thc-138), oregon scale... I wanted to get the 310 rfxcom but that doesnt seem like it is going to happen... IM trying to get the money up for a z-troller and zwave thermostat.....

so if it works for ya... stick with it.... unless you have the money to burn...

p.s. gas is falling here... so maybe it is worth it for me to buy the 310 rfxcom soon...... down from $3.89 regular to $2.75 a gal....!!!!!
                          HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

p.s. gas is falling here... so maybe it is worth it for me to buy the 310 rfxcom soon...... down from $3.89 regular to $2.75 a gal....!!!!!

Comment

DONT START ME OFF!!!

Grrrrrrrrrr

TrOjAn

Comment

Working...
                              X