Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disk is failing and I want to replace it (how to backup and restore)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrajones
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
    I have a system where the disk seems to be failing. It's have "bad block" messages showing in Event Manager every few hours. I've run scan disk and it fixes some issues, however the problem continues.

I want to replace the drive. It's a signle drive machine with 2 partitions. I have an Acronis license CD but haven't used it before. Can I create an image of the existing drive (OS, and programs and configurations) and restore to a brand new drive and swap the new drive in? Will this avoid the challenge of the setup?

thanks
    If you mean Acronis TrueImage, then you can use that disk to boot, then use the clone feature to create an exact copy of your old disk on your new disk. Just make sure you select the correct disk as the "source disk"

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Jeff,
    I believe it makes an exact copy of your system, at least that's how it looked to me, but I'm no expert. The Seagate website probably has more information.

My original drive was a WD as well. That didn't seem to make any difference. The software came with a new Seagate drive, but I think you can also download the software from the Seagate site. I don't know if you must have a Seagate drive as the destination, or if it will work with any HD.

Leave a comment:

• JeffCharger
    replied
    Thanks Michael, does it copy all registry items and configuration setup too? (it's a western digital drive)

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Michael
    replied
    Take a look at the Seagate DiskWizard software. I used it to replace the drive on my HS machine and it was very nearly painless. You install the new drive as a second HD, then copy the contents of the original drive to it. After that, you swap the new drive for the original and the computer boots off the new one just as if it were the original.

Leave a comment:

• disk is failing and I want to replace it (how to backup and restore)

I have a system where the disk seems to be failing. It's have "bad block" messages showing in Event Manager every few hours. I've run scan disk and it fixes some issues, however the problem continues.

I want to replace the drive. It's a signle drive machine with 2 partitions. I have an Acronis license CD but haven't used it before. Can I create an image of the existing drive (OS, and programs and configurations) and restore to a brand new drive and swap the new drive in? Will this avoid the challenge of the setup?

thanks
Working...
X