Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

disk is failing and I want to replace it (how to backup and restore)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i use logmein, not as cool as a vnc, but same idea. the drive i'm referring to is the boot drive, so it is different, i suppose, huh.
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Windows Home Server is able to automatically "clone" the boot drive because it operates on clusters, not files. "Clone" in this case means maintain current copies of all in-use clusters, such that the disk can be restored to its state as of the last nightly backup (or any one of the last N backups), using a bootable CD included with WHS. The scheme is inherently space- and time-efficient, since it's only copying changed clusters. It also does not copy duplicate clusters, making it especially efficient in multi-PC backup situations.

WHS has a number of other useful features (it's based on Windows Server 2003), but the backup system is a biggie for me.

You can buy boxes with WHS pre-installed from HP, or just buy the software from Microsoft.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

dumb question #1 - is it an OS, or software that can be installed on top of vista?
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
          dumb question #1 - is it an OS, or software that can be installed on top of vista?
          It's an OS.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

not an option, then, bummerooski.
            Plugins:

Comment

Working...
            X