Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    Jack,
    I have upb, and we plug anything in anywhere, and I've never had any problems, whatsoever. aircompressors, welders, all sorts of home appliances and gadgetry. zero problemos, seenyour.

Ian
    I also use UPB at home and it's my first choice on customer installs, however I have had it fail from time to time on some really large homes and have instead used Zwave. Depending on how many units a person is having installed it's fine but there have been some places I was unable to get reliable performance, such as houses with lots of metal in their structure.
    Marty
    ------
    XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
    Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

[quote=completelyhis;839894]Jack,
      I have upb, and we plug anything in anywhere, and I've never had any problems, whatsoever. aircompressors, welders, all sorts of home appliances and gadgetry. zero problemos, seenyour.

Ian[/quote

There are exceptions to the rule in every case, both for and against. There are just as many posts saying "zero problems" as "had problems" for each of the technologies. I wasn't picking on UPB, but as a powerline protocol, the chance is there, Zwave has just as much of a chance for something to interfere with its operation or not. The point I was making is for HA to really be successful, it has to be more idiot proof. It is still very much a niche market, but so where VCR's and computers at one point in time.

If one single protocol, technology, methodology was perfect, there would be no others
      Last edited by jackpod; October 28, 2008, 09:17 AM.
      Over The Hill
      What Hill?
      Where?
      When?
      I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

wouldn't disagree with that.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I've suggested it before but I think HS could become more stable and suitable for a "professional" HA platform if maintenance releases were separated from beta releases with new features. When the two are combined, you might fix one problem with an updated version, but you risk creating other problems because of the the code associated with new features. In fact, I've had that happen. I think once a version is declared a "release" then only maintenance fixes should be made against that release going forward. Beta versions with new features should be kept separate. For example, the version numbering scheme could be something like:

2.2.0 -- release version
          2.2.0.1 -- fixes to 2.2.0

2.2.1 -- beta version
          2.2.2 -- beta version
          2.2.3 -- beta version
          2.2.100 -- beta version

2.3.0 -- release version
          2.3.0.1 -- fixes to 2.3.0
          2.3.0.2 -- fixes to 2.3.0

2.3.1 -- beta version
          2.3.2 -- beta version

etc.

In other words, if the third digit is 0, it's a release version and the only changes to that version should be bug fixes. If the third digit is anything else, it's a beta version. That would allow people who chose to run beta versions to do so while allowing people who only want release versions, and subsequent bug fixes, to do so also.

Comment

Working...
          X