HomeSeer for custom installs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer for custom installs?

HomeSeer and HStouch seem great. Very flexible and powerful. I know there's a dealer program for professional custom installers to acquire product. I know the product is geared for DIY and enthusiasts primarily.

Just wanting some opinions on HS and the Pro100 as a custom installed product? Pros and cons.

Is it a tool for the professional to make a business with?

comments?

thoughts?

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the question. Wouldn't HS and the HS Pro100 always be a "custom" install? Neither will do anything useful until they are customized.

Comment

I think he's talking about the custom installation business. For myself I've stayed away from software solutions for the most part. They generally cause me more call-outs than I would like. While HS is great at home where I can play and tinker with it. Playing and tinkering is not something I want customers doing.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Custom Install

By custom install, I mean professional design and installation of solutions done as a business for profit.

Comment

Tinker?

Typically, you want to design and install a tinker-free solution for clients. I dont want my clients tinkering without me. Bad things can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by redatom View Post
              Typically, you want to design and install a tinker-free solution for clients. I dont want my clients tinkering without me. Bad things can happen.
              That's my point, HS just begs, sometimes needs, to be tinkered with. I have what I consider a very stable system at home, depending on what I'm doing I may not touch it for 2 weeks at a time, but two weeks is not a lot of time when it's installed somewhere else, for someone else. My opinion is there are far to many beta plug-ins that never quite get finished, also too many plug-ins that have minor problems or bugs that never seem to get the attention they need. While this is a minor annoyance at home it would be painful If I had it installed at a customer residence. the Media Player plug-in and DSC plug-in are two that come to mind. I own them both at home, the media player I no longer use and the DSC I haven't even bothered to install yet since I'm still reading about so many people having troubles.

The main HS program is always in a bit of a state of flux and that's fine for me at home. There are always bugs and while HST does address them in time, were it installed in a customer premise, that bit of of time would have me out of business.
              Marty
              ------
              XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

what if HST were to revamp the way the user accounts are setup, so there was an "installer" account and a standard "user" account, and the installer could set priviledges on the user account. that would help, I would think. Seems like if that is the direction HST wants their software to go, it is something they would need to do.
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
                  what if HST were to revamp the way the user accounts are setup, so there was an "installer" account and a standard "user" account, and the installer could set priviledges on the user account. that would help, I would think. Seems like if that is the direction HST wants their software to go, it is something they would need to do.
                  You can "almost" do that now by simply resetting all account passwords.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

That would be a necessity, if I can't lock it down it has no business being at a customer residence. There would also have to be a different level of support. For example bugs that are known in the .66 release version, that I know are fixed in the newer beta's but that's a long time in between release versions. That would mean a customer would have to live with the bug or I'd be living at their house to maintain it. Don't get me wrong I consider HS the premier home automation software, but that doesn't automatically make it a candidate for a professional install at a customers home, at least not yet.
                    Marty
                    ------

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                      That would be a necessity, if I can't lock it down it has no business being at a customer residence. There would also have to be a different level of support. For example bugs that are known in the .66 release version, that I know are fixed in the newer beta's but that's a long time in between release versions. That would mean a customer would have to live with the bug or I'd be living at their house to maintain it. Don't get me wrong I consider HS the premier home automation software, but that doesn't automatically make it a candidate for a professional install at a customers home, at least not yet.
                      There are a lot of professional installers that will disagree with you on this. Put HomeSeer (doesn't matter what version) on a Pro-100 in a can and set it to do home automation and it will work for years with no tweaking. It's the add-ons that aren't deemed necessary for professional installers that are mostly responsible for making HomeSeer unstable. IE screen scraping, messaging services, etc. These are the areas that the professional installer will not "mess" with. Keep in mind that Pro installers are not tweakers and leave the non necessary add-ons out of the mix. It's us DIY'ers that like to have HomeSeer check our cell phone minutes and react.

Comment

there are two sides of the coin here as well, before you even start discussing the software, what about the hardware side? Out of the 4 available technologies, 2 are immediately out of the question and of the other two, they can be very stable, but neither are perfect. ZWave can have issues and UPB could be prone as you have no control over what the customer may plugin in to an outlet. Mr and Mrs Joe Public just aren;t quite ready yet
                        Over The Hill
                        What Hill?
                        Where?
                        When?
                        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Marty
                          ------

Comment

The PRO-100 has proven to be a very reliable platform for dealer installs over the past three years. Unit failures have been extremely rare and dealers like the flexibility of those systems. If you're considering installing automation for a living, a PRO-100 is probably the most powerful controller you can install.

However, until now, dealers have had to use third party solutions for touchscreen interfaces. By itself, this is not a 'bad' thing but it limits our ability to support those installations. With HSTouch, we'll have a solution we can totally support and that is a very good thing for our dealers. When HSTouch is released, it will be shipped pre-licensed with the units.

If anyone would like to discuss this in greater detail, please feel free to give me a call.

Mark Colegrove
                            HomeSeer Technologies
                            voice: 603/471-2816 x106

Comment

Jack,
                              I have upb, and we plug anything in anywhere, and I've never had any problems, whatsoever. aircompressors, welders, all sorts of home appliances and gadgetry. zero problemos, seenyour.

Ian

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
                              there are two sides of the coin here as well, before you even start discussing the software, what about the hardware side? Out of the 4 available technologies, 2 are immediately out of the question and of the other two, they can be very stable, but neither are perfect. ZWave can have issues and UPB could be prone as you have no control over what the customer may plugin in to an outlet. Mr and Mrs Joe Public just aren;t quite ready yet
                              Plugins:
                              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Working...
                              X