120V LED bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

120V LED bulbs

Anybody have any experience with them? Do they cause powerline interference like CFLs?

Originally posted by DC View Post
    Anybody have any experience with them? Do they cause powerline interference like CFLs?
    120V LED's! I presume the unit has a transformer in it to reduce the voltage to 12 or 24V?

If you are talking about 12v LED's, they cause no problem, except if you are using a dimmer watch the load, it's on the low side for most HA dimmers.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

I bought this one from eBay. It doesn't give off much light though. Nice for a night light is about all it's good for. Doesn't dim either. But for 5 bucks I just couldn't let it go!

I also bought a 90 LED PAR30 red spot light bulb from the same vendor. Now this is a nice light! Dims great and only uses 4.2w. I have it outside in my Halloween display.
      Bryan
      Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
      Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I'm talking about replacements for normal incandescent light bulbs. Like these:

http://www.smarthome.com/97314M/120-...ulb-VFL/p.aspx

http://www.smarthome.com/97314P/120-...ulb-V30/p.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by techno_goof View Post
          I also bought a 90 LED PAR30 red spot light bulb from the same vendor. Now this is a nice light! Dims great and only uses 4.2w. I have it outside in my Halloween display.
          How bright is that one? Is it comparable to a 60W or so incandescent bulb? The price isn't bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettS View Post
            How bright is that one? Is it comparable to a 60W or so incandescent bulb? The price isn't bad at all.
            I'd say 40w to 50w at best. It's a nice accent light within my Halloween setup but I wouldn't use it to light up the back yard. This one is red, maybe the white one would be better?

I plan on getting 2 more for my Thanksgiving and then Christmas displays ... will help with the electric bill, that's for sure!
            Bryan
            Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
            Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

I use these bulbs from CREE.
              http://www.1000bulbs.com/LED-Ceiling-Lights/
              They are at least as bright as the bulbs they replace. I've replaced ever can in my house with these, and they work great, inside or out.

I've tried many others, but they are pretty much toy's compared to these guys. By the way, these bulbs are rated as 12W, but by my measurements, they use about 8W. They also dim very nicely, down to maybe 30%.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee View Post
                I use these bulbs from CREE.
                http://www.1000bulbs.com/LED-Ceiling-Lights/
                They are at least as bright as the bulbs they replace. I've replaced ever can in my house with these, and they work great, inside or out.

I've tried many others, but they are pretty much toy's compared to these guys. By the way, these bulbs are rated as 12W, but by my measurements, they use about 8W. They also dim very nicely, down to maybe 30%.
                Yeah... I'd love to go with those bulbs, but I don't know that I'm going to be able to justify ~$90 x 20 cans... especially since I just spent ~$12 per can for dimmable CFL's a few months ago.

For $17 each I figured I might be able to get a few of the ebay bulbs to try out and see how they worked, but not if they're too dim.

::sigh:: Oh well... LED prices will go down and my budget will go up as time goes on... eventually they'll meet

Brett

Comment

Yeah, not cheap, but they should last 20 years, and pay for themselves in that time, many times over. I have about 25 can lights, and with CFL's I probably had at least one burn out per month. It was a pain after a while, as I have pretty high ceilings. Even worse, when it was colder, it would take them several minutes to warmup before they got to full brightness.

When people look at the cost of something, they just look at the purchase price, and I think that is very shortsighted. If your planning on being in your house more than 3 or 4 years, and you use the light several hours a day like we do, it is definitely the cheapest solution when compared to incandescents or CFL.

Here are some examples of this light in use:
                  http://www.creells.com/demos.htm

Comment

sometimes it isn't short sighted...buy a matter of affordability...

Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
                      sometimes it isn't short sighted...buy a matter of affordability...

Also you might end up kicking your butt for buying bulbs at this price, if they go significantly down in price, a few months or years from now...

Comment

Anogee - Which bulb did you use from this page? I get confused at the different listings .... http://www.1000bulbs.com/LED-Ceiling-Lights/

Comment

There are two color temps and two types of bases. I use LLF-LR6 which is the standard base, 2700K, which is typical incandescent color temp. 3500K is sunlight color, but slightly blueish compared to incandescent. I think the other base is required for high-efficency bulbs required in CA.

No doubt, they will get cheaper like LCD TVs, and just about everything electric, but at the same time, your also not getting the benefit of having them. Each one saves me about $13-$15/year in electricity, actually even more when you consider my peak elec. charges at certain times of day, plus there is that 700w of heat my AC doesn't need to cool.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee View Post
                            There are two color temps and two types of bases. I use LLF-LR6 which is the standard base, 2700K, which is typical incandescent color temp. 3500K is sunlight color, but slightly blueish compared to incandescent. I think the other base is required for high-efficency bulbs required in CA.

No doubt, they will get cheaper like LCD TVs, and just about everything electric, but at the same time, your also not getting the benefit of having them. Each one saves me about $13-$15/year in electricity, actually even more when you consider my peak elec. charges at certain times of day, plus there is that 700w of heat my AC doesn't need to cool.
                            There's no universal answer. It's a matter of personal choices and priorities, I guess. Personally, I prefer to wait and see..

My guess is that as they become more popular, the price will go down.

Comment

Agreed, watch out for color! 3500K usually considered warm white in florescent lamps.
                              I bought 5 under-counter LED lights for the kitchen. I'm not sure of the color, 5000K ?, but the light was awful. Turned everything grey. I went to xenon halogen lights for a much warmer tone. So 5 rather expensive lights now in a box in the basement
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X