Backup for HS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup for HS2

I'm running an XP PC with HS2 controlling a variety of functions via a CM-11 interface and X-10 modules. Because I'm frequently away from home for extended periods I neea a backup for this setup. I currently use an X-10 PRO stored program module setup via Activehome software running in parallel to backup some of my critical functions but this is not a satifactory solution because the I cannot control or change the stored progam commands and this prevents me from fully utilizing my ability to change events via the internet. As configured I have no way to have the backup standing in the wings until needed as it has to be plugged in to keep the clock running, and if it's plugged in it's active contridicting any changes I make to the prime system. Any suggestions for a lowcost solution?

Why do you need a backup system? Is you HomeSeer server not reliable?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

None needed...

Now that HS2 is pretty much rock solid (and has been for a long while) there really isn't any need for a backup system. As long as you feel your PC is capable of continuously running, the only backup system you need is a UPS. ....and to be honest, the batteries in my USP died after hurricane Ike and I have no power backup. The power has gone out a few times but because the system is set to restart after a power outtage, HS comes right back up within 5 minutes of the power returning.

I used to think I needed a CM11A for important commands, but I found it is not needed. Spend your money on a good UPS or on making your HS machine bulletproof.

Rob

Comment

That's a good question and I really had to think about it a bit. My first reaction is that my server is a computer and computers do fail sometimes for a variety of reasons although mine hasn't yet after three years (so it must be due?). I have had my CM-11 hang up once or twice requiring a reboot. On one occasion after a power outage my ISP changed my address and I couldn't talk to the system (it did however continue to control things on schedule). Once my PC failed to recover from a long duration power failure that exceeded my UPS capacity. Come to think of it it also exceeded the battery backup on my stored program controller thereby screwing up time of day. Once a house guest turned off the PC. Some of these situations required manual intervention and if I'm out of town it has to wait til I return. I suppose to answer your question in it's simplest form is that in it's current implementaion I don't think of my server system as reliable.

Comment

Pull the batteries out of your CM11A or buy a new one. They are CHEAP now. I had some lockup issues caused by stored data in my CM11A. It was recommended on this board that I use Activehome to delete any stored events and clear the memory on the CM11A. I did and the problem resolved.

Save up for a new, robust machine!

Rob

Comment

I use the free plugin ActiveBackup in Updater.
            It works fine and create every day a new zip of my whole HS2 folder.
            In addition, I have another full hardware configuration and a UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by LarCrow View Post
              On one occasion after a power outage my ISP changed my address and I couldn't talk to the system (it did however continue to control things on schedule).
              There are several ways to keep track of your WAN IP address via Homeseer. This includes HSConnect (fee based) or I have a script that can notify you via several ways if you wish. You can also use one of the free DNS services available.
              Jon

Comment

I've fought this issue for 12 years. My HS setup is at our weekend farm, 50 miles from where we work/live during the week. First line of defense is, as stated, a good UPS system. I also keep my modem and router on a UPS. I've been using Radmin http://www.radmin.com/ as my remote access software for years. If the machine is opeartional, I can get in, make changes and reboot as required.

I have an HS script that builds a Web page with some house status data and most importantly the IP address from my Linksys router. That page gets posted to my ISP's site (currently every 10 minutes, but that is really too often) so I can always look there if I'm having problems connecting.

I also ghost copy the HS HD. I've not had a HD crash - yet -, but did have a MB go bad (causing XP to randomly crash). In that case, I got a new box, moved the HD, reinstalled XP to find all the right drivers and was back in business. I have a spare box that runs non-essential applications (weather station and some video cameras) that I can press into service in a real emergency (disk swapping again).

I also have the HS box "hidden" so guests, spouse, dog etc. can't accidently turn it off. Boxes are cheap enough these days to be able to have a machine for general house, guest use and a dedicated HS box.

There is no getting by having to be "there" for some hardware issues. HS2 is rock solid (as was HS 1.7 for me). Making sure you can make remote contact (have an operating modem/router and current IP) is also easy and inexpensive.

Good luck,
                Barry

Barry

Comment

I too found out some time ago that some residual commands on my CM11A were causing problems and I used Activehome to delete and took out the batteries. In fact I may have read it on this site.

I think you all have good points about improving the reliability of my basic system. I know that I need to improve my UPS as it's undersized and doesn't communicate with the PC.

Replacing my system is a bit of a stretch right now but I'd be curious as to what you have in mind as a robust system, hopefully low cost robust system
                  Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by LarCrow View Post
                    I too found out some time ago that some residual commands on my CM11A were causing problems and I used Activehome to delete and took out the batteries. In fact I may have read it on this site.

I think you all have good points about improving the reliability of my basic system. I know that I need to improve my UPS as it's undersized and doesn't communicate with the PC.

Replacing my system is a bit of a stretch right now but I'd be curious as to what you have in mind as a robust system, hopefully low cost robust system
                    Larry.
                    Rupp sent me here http://www.ecollegepc.com/ when I needed a new/replacement box last spring. I'm very pleased with the machine and planning on buying more. I don't think you can beat the price/quality.

Barry

Comment

If you are talking about backup of running basic things I have an Ocelot for DIO and running basic X-10 stuff. It's a firmware based controller that has always run flawlessly.

~Bill

Comment

I have started using LogMeIn to get into my HS system and I find that I can see my IP address there as well.

Comment

The ecollegePC line looks like a good source. It hurts a bit when you see the price doesn't include the operating system.

The Ocelot seems like it might be a good backup system but it's another system to adapt too and I'd rather not add more things I have to remember how to use.

Comment

Working...
                          X