comparing wireless routers - need some guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

comparing wireless routers - need some guidance

I am looking at a wireless router. I am most interested in "distance", not speed/bandwidth. I already have a DLink that I like, so would like to get another. Here's what I'm looking at, but I'd like others' thoughts on the differences:

- DLink-615 N
    - Dlink-625 RangeBooster N (with 2 antennas)
    - DLink-628 RangeBooster N Dual
    - DLink655 Xtreme N Gigabyte
    - DLink 825 Xtreme N Dual Gigabyte

My questions are:
    1) what's the difference between the 615 "normal one" and the "RangeBooster"? Is there truly a range increase with the RangeBooster?
    2) I understand the Gigabyte throughput (and I'm not really worried about the speed here).... is there any other reason to go with an "Xtreme"?
    3) Dual - I believe that this provides both 2.4 and 5 frequencies. As I understand it, 2.4 provides greater range, but 5 provides for higher speeds. I also believe that only newer laptops can handle the 5. Is this all true?

Thanks for the help....

Originally posted by JeffCharger View Post
    I am looking at a wireless router. I am most interested in "distance", not speed/bandwidth. I already have a DLink that I like, so would like to get another. Here's what I'm looking at, but I'd like others' thoughts on the differences:

- DLink-615 N
    - Dlink-625 RangeBooster N (with 2 antennas)
    - DLink-628 RangeBooster N Dual
    - DLink655 Xtreme N Gigabyte
    - DLink 825 Xtreme N Dual Gigabyte

My questions are:
    1) what's the difference between the 615 "normal one" and the "RangeBooster"? Is there truly a range increase with the RangeBooster?
    2) I understand the Gigabyte throughput (and I'm not really worried about the speed here).... is there any other reason to go with an "Xtreme"?
    3) Dual - I believe that this provides both 2.4 and 5 frequencies. As I understand it, 2.4 provides greater range, but 5 provides for higher speeds. I also believe that only newer laptops can handle the 5. Is this all true?

Thanks for the help....
    1) The Rangebooster models typically use more antennas and more radios (these two things are related, but different.) From my experience, the range increase in minimal, but they tend to provide faster speeds at the fringe, and have less "holes" in coverage.

If you want better range, just get the cheaper ones and add an external antenna located high up. The less walls it has to penetrate, the further it will go.

2) The Xtreme models add in some extra features. Do you care about gaming, QoS, or blocking certain web sites from users?

3) 802.11n can operate at 2.4GHz and/or 5.8GHz. 5.8GHz suffers less interference, but range is more limited. You need a client that supports 5.8GHz to get any benefit, and even then, the benefit is only from less interference, or more capacity, if you have lots of devices. My Blackberry supports both bands, and a few laptops, like some Apples do, but most don't. Don't waste your money on it unless you know your client supports it.

I use the DLink655 Xtreme N Gigabyte as the router in my house, and it works well and offers LOTS of configuration options. It might be overkill if you don't plan on using all the options. If you do get this model, they say FW version 1.11 works better than the latest FW, so don't upgrade the FW unless reviews of the new FW prove it works well. This model also offers Gigabit Ethernet for its wired connections, which might or might not be important to you.

Comment

thanks - that's very helpful...

Comment

Working...
      X