Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exterior 3 way for incandecent and halogen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exterior 3 way for incandecent and halogen.

Hello all;
    I am brand new to this company and these types of products so pardon me please if I ask a stupid question or have a design flaw.

Here is the situation. I am installing (old construction) exterior lights on a workshop and a kennel/parking area just above my house. There is power at the shop (supplied from a breaker in the house) but no existing path to the house.

The system will comprise of at least one 500 watt halogen light (and possibly 2) and at least three 100 watt incandescent flood lamps. There will be (in the future) 3 more flood lamps farther down the fence line.

The current design is for one 3-way hard wired toggle switch (weather proof) out at the corner of the kennel area, one 4-way hard wired toggle switch inside the door of the shop and a remote 3-way transmitter/switch-plate/? down inside the entry way of the house. It is approximately 50-60 feet line of site from where the remote switch would be inside the house to the nearest point of the shop where a receiver could be mounted.

What do I need in the way of components to make this work or are there other options?

Cost is a major factor, I am dong this on the cheap with some components I already have.

Originally posted by BigWhiteDog View Post
    Here is the situation. I am installing (old construction) exterior lights on a workshop and a kennel/parking area just above my house. There is power at the shop (supplied from a breaker in the house) but no existing path to the house.
    Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "path". If the power is supplied from the house, you certainly have an electrical path. Do you mean that you have no existing switch in the house to control a load in the shop?

Do you have a target technology? X10? Z-wave? UPB? Or, is that part of the question?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      Can you explain a bit more what you mean by "path". If the power is supplied from the house, you certainly have an electrical path. Do you mean that you have no existing switch in the house to control a load in the shop?
      The power to the shop is supplied from one of the breaker panels (there are two.... it's a long story!) in the house but I have no available space in the pathway to install extra wire nor is there an existing switch (except the breaker) inside the house that controls anything in the shop.

Do you have a target technology? X10? Z-wave? UPB? Or, is that part of the question?
      That is part of the question. I know nothing about any of the available options/technologies. I would like to be able to implement and maintain a standard that would be expandable eventually to control other functions through out the property but I also have to deal with current costs.

Comment

You are using the term 3-way and 4-way switches, which usually means controlling the same lights from multiple switch locations. I assume that's not what you meant.

Can you describe how you want all the switches to work? i.e. - should there be one switch in the house that turns on everything? Or separate switches that activate separate lights? Do you want to turn on the 500 watt lights separately from the 100 watt incandescents and separate from the kennel lights? And what locations do you want to do this from?

Comment

Originally posted by swc69 View Post
          You are using the term 3-way and 4-way switches, which usually means controlling the same lights from multiple switch locations. I assume that's not what you meant.
          Yes, that is exactly what I mean. Currently the design is for manual toggle style hard-wired switches, 1 switch (a 3-way) out by the kennel/parking area to be accessed from there when needed, 1 switch (a 4-way) inside the shop at the door to be accessed if someone is working inside when it gets dark and needs to light the path back to the house and a final 3-way switch inside the front entryway of the house to either shut off lights after coming in, or to turn them on when heading out to the parking/kennel area. They are adjacent to each other.

Can you describe how you want all the switches to work? i.e. - should there be one switch in the house that turns on everything? Or separate switches that activate separate lights? Do you want to turn on the 500 watt lights separately from the 100 watt incandescents and separate from the kennel lights? And what locations do you want to do this from?
          Because I will have to trench from the shop to the house (and not is a straight line due to terrain), I would like to replace the house switch (or all of them) with a remote controller. I want all of the lights to turn on/off together (eventually the parking area will have it's own lights mounted in different location and on a motion sensor). I just need 1 action (all lights on/off) controlled from 3 different locations. Does that help clarify ?

Comment

Working...
          X